Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in Borderlands 2

November 4, 2011 -

While we often take publishers and developers to task for the things they do that are generally anti-consumer, it's always nice to write stories about the good things they do for fans. Gearbox is a company that does go out of its way to treat its gamer base with dignity, respect and fondness. For an example of this, you need only read this wonderful Destructoid story (thanks to Zen for bringing it to our attention in the Shout Box) about what the company did for a young man who died from cancer.

The story begins when a man named Carlos wrote Gearbox to ask them if they would be willing to have the popular Borderlands NPC Claptrap read a eulogy for his late friend Michael John Mamaril, who passed away last month at the young age of 22. Not only did Gearbox do that, the company decided to make Michael John Mamaril an NPC in the upcoming sequel Borderlands 2.

While we often talk about the great charitable works that developers do, this is by far the most inspirational story I’ve written about in a long time. You can listen to the eulogy from Claptrap here.

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

Wow.  Claptrap doesn't really strike me as eulogy-giving material.  Still, good on Gearbox for the nice gesture.  It's not going to change my mind about buying Borderlands 2 though.

Basically, a couple hours into Borderlands, there was nothing you could do to stop me from buying Borderlands 2.  ;)

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

It's always nice when game companies try to do nice things for the people who play their games.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm