Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in Borderlands 2

November 4, 2011 -

While we often take publishers and developers to task for the things they do that are generally anti-consumer, it's always nice to write stories about the good things they do for fans. Gearbox is a company that does go out of its way to treat its gamer base with dignity, respect and fondness. For an example of this, you need only read this wonderful Destructoid story (thanks to Zen for bringing it to our attention in the Shout Box) about what the company did for a young man who died from cancer.

The story begins when a man named Carlos wrote Gearbox to ask them if they would be willing to have the popular Borderlands NPC Claptrap read a eulogy for his late friend Michael John Mamaril, who passed away last month at the young age of 22. Not only did Gearbox do that, the company decided to make Michael John Mamaril an NPC in the upcoming sequel Borderlands 2.

While we often talk about the great charitable works that developers do, this is by far the most inspirational story I’ve written about in a long time. You can listen to the eulogy from Claptrap here.

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

Wow.  Claptrap doesn't really strike me as eulogy-giving material.  Still, good on Gearbox for the nice gesture.  It's not going to change my mind about buying Borderlands 2 though.

Basically, a couple hours into Borderlands, there was nothing you could do to stop me from buying Borderlands 2.  ;)

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

It's always nice when game companies try to do nice things for the people who play their games.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm