Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in Borderlands 2

November 4, 2011 -

While we often take publishers and developers to task for the things they do that are generally anti-consumer, it's always nice to write stories about the good things they do for fans. Gearbox is a company that does go out of its way to treat its gamer base with dignity, respect and fondness. For an example of this, you need only read this wonderful Destructoid story (thanks to Zen for bringing it to our attention in the Shout Box) about what the company did for a young man who died from cancer.

The story begins when a man named Carlos wrote Gearbox to ask them if they would be willing to have the popular Borderlands NPC Claptrap read a eulogy for his late friend Michael John Mamaril, who passed away last month at the young age of 22. Not only did Gearbox do that, the company decided to make Michael John Mamaril an NPC in the upcoming sequel Borderlands 2.

While we often talk about the great charitable works that developers do, this is by far the most inspirational story I’ve written about in a long time. You can listen to the eulogy from Claptrap here.

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

Wow.  Claptrap doesn't really strike me as eulogy-giving material.  Still, good on Gearbox for the nice gesture.  It's not going to change my mind about buying Borderlands 2 though.

Basically, a couple hours into Borderlands, there was nothing you could do to stop me from buying Borderlands 2.  ;)

Re: Gearbox Honors Deceased Fan with Eulogy, Inclusion in ...

It's always nice when game companies try to do nice things for the people who play their games.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm