PETA Upset Over Battlefield 3 Rat Backstab

You might want to sit down for this.

There’s a popular war video game out there that not only allows players to shoot hundreds upon hundreds of human characters but it also features the horrific and brutal snuffing out of a small and innocent life.

Yes, in Electronic Arts’ recently released Battlefield 3, players can kill a virtual rat.

Man, I’m emotionally drained after writing that so I’ll just let the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals take the reins.  Via German press release, PETA said:

“The realistic computer game “Battlefield 3″ treats animals in a sadistic manner. The game gives players the option to kill a rat with a combat knife in the back in order to then lift it by its tail, then toss it away. Killing virtual animals can have a brutalizing effect on the young male target audience. There have been repeated cases of animal cruelty in Germany, where young people kill animals. Inspiration behind these acts often came from movies and computer games.”

Source: Battlefield 3 Blog

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

MechaTama31 says:

I wonder how those retards at peta feel about Metal Gear Solid.  On one hand, in MGS2 you get a stern talking to from your cohorts over the radio if you have a little too much fun shooting seagulls.  On the other hand, MGS3.  😉

Adaptor says:

I'm more upset over the (over)use of QTE's in BF3's campaign. The one with the rat was laughably bad and so out of place and unnecessary that I, too, actually felt a little bad about it.

Austin from Oregon says:

I'm gonna ignore the obvious facepalm and say that if they would just pick their battles, organizations like PETA might actually be able to fulfill some of their goals other than securing funding and celebrity backing.

hellfire7885 says:

Higher profile target, they think this will get them ore attention.

Fairly certain if GTA ever features animals they would pull the same crap, course I'm surprised they haven't giving in GTA4 you could shoot pigeons.

GoodRobotUs says:

Sometimes I swear PETA are just a product of the Meat Marketting Board charged with enacting Poes Law on serious organizations like the World Wildlife Fund.

Thomas Riordan says:

In other news in Mousetrap you can brutalize and imprison mice. Monopoly promotes the unfair imprisonment of our canine friends. In Sims 3 Pets you can enslave horses and imprison numerous other animals, plus there's the murder of innocent fish. Also the horses can be black so I'm sure they can get one of the racism groups to jump on the bandwagon for that one. It's a virtual rat, get over it.

Of course they're doing it for press coverage it's a popular game. You don't see them going after Cabela's Dangerous Hunts do you? No because it's a bargain bin title that hardly anyone really buys. But I'm sure if they did PETA would turn it into Bambi being anally raped every time you purchase a copy of this game.

The sad thing is these groups go so far into the realm of being completely stupid most of the time that even people who believe in what they're trying to do just have to shake their heads and go just shut up already. I really hope EA has some backbone here and doesn't change the game but they've already proven they have no backbone in the past.

Erik says:

So PETA thinks that this kind of game can have an effect that can mind control people into emulating the actions in the game and yet they have no worries about the hundreds of people you kill in the game?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't PETA technically people?

locopuyo says:

If a rat tries to bite me I'm killing it.  In the game you try to shoo the rat away but then it bites you so you kill it.  There aren't enough faces to palm at this level.