DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

November 8, 2011 -

Over 330,000 new players have joined DC Universe Online in eight days since SOE switched the game from the traditional MMO subscription model to a free-to-play model. SOE's John Smedley claims that these new users represent a ridiculous 1000 percent growth in "concurrent users" in just over a week. The game officially went free-to-play on November 1.

These concurrent users do have a downside - more traffic, more congestion and long queue lines to got on servers, according to SOE.

“We are over 1000% of our pre-F2P concurrent numbers. We're very aware of the long queues and other issues. We're on it,” said SOE president John Smedley on his Twitter account.

Servers for DCUO have struggled to handle the large influx of new users, with lag and login issues being reported on a regular basis.

The F2P MMO can be downloaded on PS3 via the PlayStation Network, and on PC. The client weighs in at 25 gigabytes. SOE hopes that sales of virtual items and content in-game will fuel future revenues.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

Yeah, I signed up for this 2 days ago.  After creating my hero, it took a long initial load time, but when I finally got on it was quite fun.  Then this morning the server was flat dead.  I'm sure Sony were not expecting the influx of players that they actually received.  I suspect the servers are being beefed up as I speak.  I can't wait to play some more.

Re: DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

The last few days i was seeing log in queues of around 5,000. Today the biggest i've hit is 32, so yeah, i definitely think they've already got some stuff in place to accomadate

Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm