DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

November 8, 2011 -

Over 330,000 new players have joined DC Universe Online in eight days since SOE switched the game from the traditional MMO subscription model to a free-to-play model. SOE's John Smedley claims that these new users represent a ridiculous 1000 percent growth in "concurrent users" in just over a week. The game officially went free-to-play on November 1.

These concurrent users do have a downside - more traffic, more congestion and long queue lines to got on servers, according to SOE.

“We are over 1000% of our pre-F2P concurrent numbers. We're very aware of the long queues and other issues. We're on it,” said SOE president John Smedley on his Twitter account.

Servers for DCUO have struggled to handle the large influx of new users, with lag and login issues being reported on a regular basis.

The F2P MMO can be downloaded on PS3 via the PlayStation Network, and on PC. The client weighs in at 25 gigabytes. SOE hopes that sales of virtual items and content in-game will fuel future revenues.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

Yeah, I signed up for this 2 days ago.  After creating my hero, it took a long initial load time, but when I finally got on it was quite fun.  Then this morning the server was flat dead.  I'm sure Sony were not expecting the influx of players that they actually received.  I suspect the servers are being beefed up as I speak.  I can't wait to play some more.

Re: DCUO Continues Massive Growth as F2P Game

The last few days i was seeing log in queues of around 5,000. Today the biggest i've hit is 32, so yeah, i definitely think they've already got some stuff in place to accomadate

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Neo_DrKefkaThanks James. Means a lot.10/21/2014 - 7:24pm
prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am