Modern Warfare 3 Developer Calls for Metascore Boost, Gets Flamed

Sledgehammer game is finding itself on the business end of internet hate after one of its developers encouraged fans to manipulate the user ratings for Modern Warfare 3 over at Sledgehammer Games lead Glen Schofield tweeted to fans asking them to bring the game's paltry 1.7/10 score up. Critics have been generally kind to the game, giving it an average score of 8.9/10.

"I don’t usually do this but, if u like MW3 go 2 & help our user score," tweeted Schofield (the tweet has since been removed). "It’s suspiciously low. Be honest but help if u agree."

What Schofield didn't expect was the reaction from the community. He was immediately attacked by fans of the game, who accused him of trying to promote ‘unfair boosting.’ While Schofield took some heat for his Twitter request, the game has climbed a littler higher to an average of 3.2.

Source: IndustryGamers

kevindarkage says:

That is no ” unfair boosting ” compare too so many other things I’ve seen before. They are just looking for the smallest opportunity to TRY and take down a world-wide best selling game.
    I’ve see others do worst and send e-mails saying: vote that se are the best here! (reffering just yesterday of epic games and the unreal engine) and you think that they “boosted” the results…. Pfff . I just think they made more People vote then what it should of been, but still, do you really think someone who doesn’t like MW3 would of voted yes i love it just by seing this tweet?!
    Common get back to reality and leave it alone, leave MW3 alone! 😛

masterdingo says:

The question for me is, what does it matter? Isn't it the best selling piece of media of all time? What do they need critical acclaim for when they've won in the ultimate way, through more cash than anyone else… making them the de facto peoples choice in all forms of media? It seems greedy more than anything. Enjoy what you've got, man.

axiomatic says:

I own both games. I don't think MW3 is a 1.7, but compared to BF3 it's a 4.0 – 4.5 at best. There is just not much new about MW3. BF3 gets maybe an 8.0 because the single player campaign was lackluster but I KNOW I will be playing BF3 multiplayer on the PC for at least the next two years almost non-stop. It's really that good.

Kojiro says:

You left out the key phrase, "Be honest".  Nothing in his post sounds like he is calling for unfair boosting.  This is the equivalent of an online retailer or eBay store asking you to give positive feedback if you were happy with them.  Nothing wrong with that.

lomdr says:

This part: "help if u agree" seems like he's calling for an unfair boost.  But still, COD pretty much became the game to hate around MW2, mainly because of what happened the March that followed the release

Rohin says:

I agree that 1.7 does seem suspiciously low. Lots of diehard Battlefield fans rating a game they don't play?

Also, I don't think 'unfair boosting' is the term when someone asks you to rate the game what you think it should be rated. He didn't ask for a high score, just that people give their honest opinion on it.