Two Razer Prototype Gaming Laptops Stolen, Claims Company

November 15, 2011 -

Two prototype Razer Blade laptops have been stolen, according to the company that makes them, but they claim that the theft is unlikely to impact launch plans for what it calls "the world's first true gaming laptop." Razer revealed this morning that two prototype Razer Blade gaming laptops had been stolen from its R&D offices earlier this month.

Heathcliff Hatcher, Razer's director of global product marketing, told Kotaku that the prototypes were not fully functional and that the theft shouldn't have any sort of impact on the company’s plans to launch. The company said that it finally went public with the news this week is in the hope it will help to recover data from a weekend-long thermal test that is on one of the stolen laptops.

"As you can imagine, the return of these prototype units is very important to the company. We have already reported this to the authorities who are working closely with us on this matter," the company wrote on its Facebook page.

Details on the theft were not revealed - like if this was simply an act of theft by an individual or if the company thinks this was some sort of industrial espionage to steal trade secrets. Whatever the motive, authorities are looking into it.

Source: Kotaku

Posted in

Comments

Re: Two Razer Prototype Gaming Laptops Stolen, Claims Company

If it was just a random theft occurence by an individual acting for personal gain (and not for "malicious intent" - i.e.: to sell the units to a competitor), then the chances of them getting it back are pretty remote. However, I have a business acquitance in the performing artist industry who had a different method for when his backpack containing a laptop and audio interface (both very expensive items) were stolen: Inside the bag (which contained more items), he'd left a note saying he would give $500 for the safe return of all items, no questions asked. He got his stuff back in under a week. I've started seeing others do similar actions (i.e.: On a college campus, I saw $100 offered, no questions asked, for the safe return of an iPhone. Whether or not it was recovered is unknown to me). I'm not saying Razer should off a no-questions-asked-reward for it's return, but I am pointing out that it seems to be an emerging effective methodoloy.

----
Papa Midnight

Andrew EisenThat depends on a lot. Are you currently bleeding? Or do you want to leave work to go to the doctor over an incident that happened on a different day and you didn't file an incident report for?11/23/2014 - 3:21pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm