Second Life Gets Mention in FBI Report On Gangs

November 16, 2011 -

Apparently Second Life has managed to get an honorable mention in a new FBI intelligence dossier on gangs. On page 41 of the FBI's recently released "National Gang Threat Assessment" report, Second Life gets a mention as a hang for nefarious characters. From the PDF:

"Second Life is a computer-based virtual world with a simulated environment where users inhabit and interact via avatars, or graphical representations the virtual world may depict a real world or a fantasy world. Users communicate through text-chat and real-time voice-based chat. Second Life provides versatility and anonymity and allows for covert communications. Because of its anonymity and versatility, gang members could potentially use second life to recruit, spread propaganda, commit other crimes such as drug trafficking, and receive training for real-world criminal operations."

Of course gangs could "potentially" use Skype, Aim, Google Chat, Facebook, Twitter, World of Warcraft, any game played on Xbox Live, etc to communicate about their dark deeds and covert plans... It sounds like an FBI agent was trying to justify his in-world examination of the virtual world.

You can check out the report here (PDF).

Source: Kotaku. Thanks to Uncharted NES for the tip.

Comments

Re: Second Life Gets Mention in FBI Report On Gangs

......

I...

... Fucking WHAT

Yeah, I'm totally certain the friggin' Mara Salvatrucha are going to use Second Life's virtual titties and poon to recruit young people.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm