Research Compares Teenagers Who Frequently Game to Gamblers

November 17, 2011 -

Researchers at the Charité University Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy in Berlin, Germany, found that gamers who play "frequently" have greater left striatal gray matter volume compared with those that are considered to be moderate gamers. Researchers say that these findings show the importance of "striatal volume and activity in shaping preference of skills for video gaming."

"The key finding of higher volume in left ventral striatum associated with frequent video game playing is in conceptual accordance with findings of enhanced dopamine release during [this activity] and excessive gambling in Parkinson's patients [given] dopaminergic medication," the investigators write.

Researchers were led by Simone Kühn, PhD, from the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Department of Experimental Psychology, Ghent Institute for Functional and Metabolic Imaging, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium; Charité University Medicine; and Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, Berlin and Braunschweig, Germany. They analyzed MRI scans of 154 14-year-olds from the IMAGEN project, a European multicenter genetic neuroimaging study in teenagers.

Participants were divided into groups, based on a median of 9 hours weekly spent playing video games into 2 playing categories: frequent (76 total - 24 girls, 52 boys) and moderate (78 total - 58 girls, 20 boys).

Researchers found that the frequent gamer group had a significantly increased volume of left grey striatal matter compared with moderate gamers, which in turn was associated with higher functional MRI activity when not winning in a gambling task. The increased activity was negatively correlated with deliberation time in betting, as evaluated using a Monetary Incentive Delay task used to assess brain activity during reward anticipation and reward feedback.

"Individuals with higher ventral striatum volume might experience video gaming as more rewarding in the first place. This in turn could facilitate skill acquisition and lead to further reward from playing," the authors write. "If the striatal differences observed in the current study are indeed an effect of gaming, video gaming might pose an interesting option to explore structural changes in addiction in future studies."

The IMAGEN study receives research funding from the European Community's Sixth Framework Program and is supported by the UK Department of Health National Institute for Health Research–Biomedical Research Center 'Mental Health' and a MRC program grant. Additional funding was provided by the Berliner Senatsverwaltung. The study was published online November 15 in Translational Psychiatry.

If you enjoy seeing the same information interpreted by English newspapers, then you'll find the reports from The Daily Mail and The Telegraph amusing.

Source: Nature.com

Image provided by Shutterstock. All right reserved.

Comments

Re: Research Compares Teenagers Who Frequently Game to Gamblers

I like how this research doesn't use vague test measures but actual MRI-results. And more importantly, they admit they don't know which of the two is the cause.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm