Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2011 -

GamePolitics is going dark today in observance of Thanksgiving and boy howdy do gamers like us have oodles to be thankful for this year.  Fall 2011 is jam-packed with more awesome video games than most will ever have the time (or money) to play.  See the bottom of Leland Yee’s recent “Don’t buy these video games” press release to parents for a few good suggestions.

Personally, I can’t wait to dig into the newest Zelda game.  I know James is schoolgirl giddy to play Skyrim and word has it that ECA big cheese Hal Halpin just can’t get enough of PETA’s Super Tanooki Skin 2D.

I may have made up that last part.  Moving on...

The Supreme Court finally vetted legislation restricting the sale of violent video games to minors and we’re supremely (see what I did there?) thankful that it agreed with every single other court in America to have tackled this issue and ruled in favor of the video game industry.  The Brown v. EMA decision sets an important president for all future game legislation and will help ensure that we get to enjoy the unrestricted creativity of game developers for Thanksgivings to come.

Net Neutrality is now the law of the land and while it may not be exactly what we wanted, we’re darn thankful for everyone that helped to get it where it is and who continue to fight to get it to where it should be.

Hopefully next year we’ll be thankful for the toilet flushing of legislation like SOPA and the Protect IP Act.  Granting IP holders the ability to shut down websites and services for allegedly infringing on a copyright with little to no judicial oversight isn’t cool.  Call us old fashioned, but we rather dig that whole “innocent until proven guilty” thing.  Until then, we’re enormously thankful for everyone out there doing their damnedest to prevent these laws from going into effect as currently written.

And finally, thanks to all our international friends who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving for keeping the world running while we take the day off to gorge ourselves on turkey and pie!

From all of us here at GamePolitics and the ECA, we wish you a very happy Thanksgiving!

-GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. As you can tell we're not doing much today, but I am am enjoying the links being shared in the Shout box.

I am going to spend my day in Skyrim trying to join the various guilds. Have Fun! - J

WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm