13.2 Million Korean MapleStory Customers Affected by Security Breach

November 28, 2011 -

Account information from more than 13 million MapleStory players was compromised in a recent hacking incident, according to a report in the Korean Herald. According to that report, the attack took place last Thursday on Thanksgiving, and affected three-quarters of the game's player-base - right around 13.2 million people. The data that may have been stolen included player names, user IDs, passwords, and registration numbers (Korea's version of the US's social security number).

A spokesman for Nexon confirmed the security breach, but claimed that overseas players were not affected.

"We operate separate servers in each country. Only Korean users' information was affected," he said.

The attack is the second largest in the country's history and is currently under investigation by the Korea Communications Commission. No doubt this security breach won't help its plans to have an IPO valued at $1.3 billion in the next few weeks.

Source: GI.biz

Andrew EisenYou see that a lot though: people so intent on disliking something that they outright fabricate reasons to justify their loathing. Never understood that.06/01/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenYeah, some people REALLY don't like Chipman. Which is fine but I've never seen anyone give a good reason why. The most fervent detractors keep making stuff up to dislike about him.06/01/2015 - 8:21pm
MattsworknameAlso, word of warning, the comment section on that video is a warzone rightnow06/01/2015 - 7:59pm
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?t=128&v=udarBlE07N406/01/2015 - 7:55pm
MattsworknameMovie bob put out a new game overthinker. While Im not always on the same page as bob, especially after some of his stuff in the last year, but this is pretty on the nose.06/01/2015 - 7:55pm
WonderkarpWhat can I say, I like Batman. Friend of mine said it best that Batman is such a great property because they can make it super serious and super campy and so long as its directed or written well, people will love it.06/01/2015 - 7:55pm
Wonderkarpby batman and robin, I ment the PS1 game. the poopy clooney game06/01/2015 - 7:51pm
WonderkarpI wish I had that game, Andrew. But its Expensive now.06/01/2015 - 7:51pm
Andrew EisenAdventures of Batman and Robin on the Super NES was pretty fun.06/01/2015 - 7:48pm
MattsworknameThatsa lot of bats Karp06/01/2015 - 7:45pm
Wonderkarpthe PS1 Racing Game, Batman and Robin, and Batman Brave and Bold06/01/2015 - 7:43pm
Wonderkarpwell some bits of the plan failed. mostly just a lack of real planning. but I still have a large collection. got NES Batman, SNES Returns and Forever, Lego Batmans 1-3, Batman Begins, the 4 Arkham Games, Shin Zhu, vengence, Return of Joker06/01/2015 - 7:42pm
E. Zachary KnightYou planning on playing the Lego Batman games as well? Personally, I am huge fan of the NES Batman. That was a great game.06/01/2015 - 7:38pm
WonderkarpBack in October of last year, I was planning for a 2 week long Twitch Batfest where I play Batman games leading up to Batman Arkham Knight. Then Delayed. I gained a sizable collection of classic batman games. some great, some poopy. I might still do this.06/01/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkI played it for an hour before going to work. Was surprised to find it nearly cooked my CPU. Either the radiator needs dusting, or I need a new cooling unit altogether.06/01/2015 - 7:19pm
MattsworknameSo, hatred is out, gonna have to look at it later, just out of curiousity. Im bouncing back and forth between at least 5 to six games at the moment so Ill have to find time to squeeze it in.06/01/2015 - 6:55pm
Goth_Skunk"My butt!"06/01/2015 - 5:06pm
Andrew EisenYes, Matthew, Karp and I are having a polite and nuanced discussion in the Witcher 3 story. It can be done! Take that, internet!06/01/2015 - 3:56pm
WonderkarpN64 > XBOX Conker BFD. Uncensored.06/01/2015 - 3:40pm