DailyKOS Takes on SOPA, PROTECT IP

November 29, 2011 -

Left-leaning political blog DailyKOS joins the editorial pages of the New York Times and Los Angeles Times in opposition of the House's Stop Online Piracy Act and the Senate's Protect IP Act. In a post titled "Congress is close to destroying the internet (no hyperbole)," DailyKOS says that it is not hyperbole when they say that lawmakers, big Pharmaceutical companies, and the recording, and movie industries are out to destroy the internet. Sites that rely on social media, content sharing and user-created content from places like Facebook, Reddit, tumblr, Sound Cloud, and YouTube would be devastated by these laws if they were to pass.

On the plus side, they note the opposition of Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden, who has put a hold on the bill in the Senate and promises a "full filibuster" if necessary. Wyden has been joined by Sens. Maria Cantwell of Washington, Jerry Moran of Kansas and Rand Paul of Kentucky. In the House, Nancy Pelosi and Ron Paul have publicly said they oppose SOPA.

Here is the best part of the post, which gets right to the heart of what SOPA's and PROTECT IP's purpose is:

"This is the holy grail of the entertainment industry—to destroy the internet, and thus, destroy the biggest danger to their business.

While the entertainment industry already has outsized tools to fight piracy, they don't want to deal with the hassle of having to send takedown notices to individual infringing sites. It's hard work, going after YouTubes of dancing babies and stuff! And, of course, they don't have jurisdiction over many foreign-based sites. So, if they can't stomp out all piracy, plan B is to destroy the internet.
"

Finally, they encourage those who oppose these bills to go to AmericanCensorship.org to learn more about these laws will actually do to affect what you do on the internet every day.

Source: DailyKOS

Comments

Re: DailyKOS Takes on SOPA, PROTECT IP

Ah, the DailyKOS.

We used to have a reader who'd frequently link to KOS articles in the Shout box and spin the hell out of the already spun stories.  Much fun was had by all.

Andrew Eisen

Re: DailyKOS Takes on SOPA, PROTECT IP

That may be so, but it doesn't take anything from a fact that SOPA is a law bought by the industry, that tries to kill flies with nuclear bombs.

Between this and the police response to OWS meetings, the US is looking less and less every day like the "Land of the Freedom" they so much like to proclaim they are. And the rest of us are the ones that are going to take all the shit for it. AGAIN.

Re: DailyKOS Takes on SOPA, PROTECT IP

Just to be clear, my post was not meant to imply that this particular KOS article (which I've not read) is spun or factually incorrect.

Andrew Eisen

Re: DailyKOS Takes on SOPA, PROTECT IP

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.  Title 2 of SOPA effectively makes my gaming blog illegal, as I include a picture of the game's front cover with all my reviews.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm