Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

December 1, 2011 -

If you are expecting to see HBO's original programming on Netflix anytime soon, you can just forget about that. HBO Co-President Eric Kessler told a gathering of industry executives in New York City that there was "no chance" his company will make its shows available to digital non-subscribers. The industry calls these people "cord cutters," - people who have shifted from cable TV to streaming online services like Netflix.

In fact, HBO sees companies such as Hulu and Netflix as its competition and it sees its original programming as its core revenue stream because it attracts people willing to pay a subscription fee. Then there the simple fact that HBO has its own free service available on smart phones, the web, and more - HBO Go. So the sad truth is that shows like Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Luck, and more will continue to only be available to HBO subscribers.

Luckily Showtime has a different revenue model that focuses on some licensing.

The biggest hurdle HBO faces when it comes to getting users to fall in love with HBO Go is cable operators such as Time Warner, who currently don't allow access to it.

At least Verizon’s FiOS TV and broadband service customers with an Xbox Live subscription will soon be able to watch HBO (as well as 25 other premium channels) via Xbox Live...

Source: Paid Content

Comments

Re: Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

While HBO is complaining and throwing their tantrum, I'll go back to watching Penn and Teller's Bullshit and a number of other great shows.

Insulting a potential customer is no way to get them to come to you. You have to come get us instead.

Re: Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

Yeah HBO is basically digging their own grave while also throwing their toys out of the crib and crying about it.

This is the point where I have ZERO sympathy for you HBO. Grow up and embrace you customers viewing desires.

Re: Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

I like the idea of purchasing my own channels rather then having a bundled TV channel setup thats overpriced for channels I don't watch like BET. Or the Baptist channel here in Chicago with Baptists hitting themselves in the head with the holy ghost power and them falling down....

Re: Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

HBO is pretty much an irrelevant service anyhow.  Why pay a premium for one or two good shows?  There are plenty of good shows on other channels which are either included in my cable bundle or licensed on Netflix.

Re: Why You'll Never See HBO Content on Netflix

mmm.. digging their own graves....

Seriously, customers hate this whole coupling between producer and provider.  Exclusive deals are great for executives and their pissing contests... but consumers do not exactly enjoy being pawns in their little game to feel like a stallion in bed that night.

If HBO does not change its tune, expect it to slowly be eroded by piracy...

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm