EFF Asks US Copyright Office to Exempt Jailbreaking, Fair Use from DMCA

December 5, 2011 -

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has asked the US Copyright Office to exempt jailbreaking devices such as the iPhone and PS3 from enforcement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

"The DMCA is supposed to block copyright infringement. But instead it can be misused to threaten creators, innovators, and consumers, discouraging them from making full and fair use of their own property," said EFF Intellectual Property Director Corynne McSherry said in a November 30 statement. "Hobbyists and tinkerers who want to modify their phones or video game consoles to run software programs of their choice deserve protection under the law. So do artists and critics who use short excerpts of video content to create new works of commentary and criticism. Copyright law shouldn't be stifling such uses – it should be encouraging them."

The EFF said that the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Organization for Transformative Works helped them draft the request. The Copyright Office will hold hearings on the proposed DMCA exemptions in spring 2012, with a final rulemaking order expected in October 2012.

You can check out the full exemption request that the EFF filed here (PDF).

Source: EFF

Posted in

Comments

Re: EFF Asks US Copyright Office to Exempt Jailbreaking, ...

I like that the EFF is making this push.

I've done my share of console modding over the years, and I've seen some wicked awesome works come out of the community.  One of my recent projects has involved installing linux on a ps2 and getting stepmania to work with it.  DDR simulator, playing ddr from my ps2.  Considering I make my own simfiles, this is a great way to test my work.

Re: EFF Asks US Copyright Office to Exempt Jailbreaking, ...

I admit I do like the lights mods I see on some of them.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm