Sony 'Other OS' Lawsuit Dismissed by District Court

December 13, 2011 -

A class action lawsuit filed against Sony for removing the "OtherOS" option from the PlayStation 3 has been put down for a dirt nap by a federal judge. The lawsuit, which was brought against Sony in April 2010 over its decision to remove Linux operating system support from the PlayStation 3 console, was eventually certified as a "class." U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg granted a motion by Sony to dismiss the case. The dismissal falls under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which Seeborg said was necessary because the plaintiff(s) offered insufficient facts to hold Sony liable.

"The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable. As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable," Seeborg wrote. "As a legal matter, however, plaintiffs have failed to allege facts or articulate a theory on which Sony may be held liable."

Thanks to Andrew Eisen for the tip.

Source: IGN

Comments

Re: Sony 'Other OS' Lawsuit Dismissed by District Court

Odd. I figured this article would be flooded with comments on what a horrible injustice this is by now.

Strangely quiet...

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

InfophileAged well plot-wise, I mean. The animation is showing its age, but if you don't mind that, the plot holds up quite well03/27/2015 - 6:52am
InfophileRobotech may be 30 years old, but it's actually aged pretty well. Plus, one of the three Japanese franchises that went into making it, Macross, is coming out with a new series soon. So it's far from forgotten or out-of-date03/27/2015 - 6:50am
ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm