Google Street View Shooting Game Takes a Bullet

December 14, 2011 -

While it might have been a clever use of Google's Street View (part of Google maps), Google isn't patting the developer of a first-person shooter game that used the 3D panoramic imagery from the service captured by Google. Instead they have put a bullet right between the eyes of "Google Shoot View." The game was created by Dutch digital ad agency Pool Worldwide said that it created the game to promote its unique marketing services. While it did allow you to explore neighborhoods, and fire an assault rifle superimposed over the Street View's 3D imagery, the game did little else.

Pool Worldwide Creative director Erwin Kleinjan told Business Insider that Google took away their rights to use the Street View application protocol interface. Google gives permission to third parties to incorporate Street View into their own products. Google told the firm that they had violated of the terms of service.

"We received an email that apparently it was infringing on their terms of use, so we put the rest of the site down," he said.

The game lived a short life from Friday through late Monday evening.

"At peak moments there were like 3,000 visitors per minute. It also crashed our web server," claimed Kleinjan.

Whatever your opinion, it's hard to deny the Dutch ad agency has gotten some publicity from its game - the question is was it the kind of publicity they wanted?

Business Insider

Posted in

Comments

Re: Google Street View Shooting Game Takes a Bullet

Looked pretty lame from what I saw. It's just Google Street View with an assault rifle superimposed. I don't even know if I'd call it a game, because you don't do anything.

Re: Google Street View Shooting Game Takes a Bullet

I wonder if lawyers are even aware of how silly they appear from the outside when they do shit like this.

MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm
Big PermNow that steam refunds are a thing, I'd hope they care more about not releasing a buggy mess.08/04/2015 - 8:34pm
MattsworknameI really think someone should get on bethesda abotu this and find out if there gonna fix it for the anthology, and if those fixs will be provide to those who already own the software on steam08/04/2015 - 8:24pm