Touring the Louvre with a 3DS

December 16, 2011 -

Agence France-Presse (AFP) is reporting that, beginning in March of 2012, the Louvre in Paris, France will use 5,000 3DS hand-helds to guide its 8.5 million annual visitors through the 35,000 art objects on display. The hand-helds are being supplied by Nintendo as part of a new partnership between the company and the iconic museum.

The 3DS systems the museum will use let visitors locate themselves on the museum's grounds, select from themed tours tailored to both adults and children, and listen to commentary about exhibits in seven different languages.

Agnes Alfandari, the Louvre's head of multimedia, told the AFP that Nintendo was responsible for developing the tailor-made content on those 3DS systems, but the museum had editorial control over the final version of the software. The museum is also plans on creating smartphone and iPad apps that will allow visitors to plan their visits.

Source: Gamespot

Comments

Re: Touring the Louvre with a 3DS

With all the impressive software engines and commercial hardware available these days, I've been wondering for a very long time why different locations didn't create "virtual tourism" software.  Just imagine being able to walk around the Louvre on the 360, with commentary accompanying each piece of art.  It'd be a prime way to sell DLC, too, because you could update the exhibits with new renderings.

EDIT: Why wait for the Louvre to do it?  Why not just create a virtual museum?  Showcase a set selection of classic art, and update it with DLC from various periods, ancient art to today's art with a full commentary on each piece.  You could have starving artists sell their work virtually.  It'd be great!

Re: Touring the Louvre with a 3DS

I'd love for this to happen, hell, I've been wanting Namco to do a true Namco Museum in the style of the PS1 games.

Hell, a company could do some truly fantastical things museum wise.

PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm