Anti-SOPA Petition Reaches 20K Signatures, Needs 5K More

December 19, 2011 -

The "We The People" section of the White House's official web site features a petition asking the Obama Administration to veto SOPA and any future bills that threaten to "diminish the free flow of information" on the Internet. From the text of the petition:

"It would be ridiculous for an ISP to block the entire whitehouse.gov domain on court order because a single user posted a link. It is difficult for any web administrator to know which links to copyrighted material are done with permission. This will kill the free flow of information and conversation on the internet.

SOPA is too blunt. Please veto."

The petition also features an infograph that has been making the rounds that shows possible effects from SOPA and Protect IP - http://i.imgur.com/TD4Kq.jpg.

So far the petition has 20,453 signatures, with a goal of reaching 25,000 by January 17. That's a little over 4,000 more signatures to reach its goal. You can get involved by visiting whitehouse.gov.

Thanks to Ephriam Zachary Knight via Facebook.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Anti-SOPA Petition Reaches 20K Signatures, Needs 5K More

Eh, I went and signed it, not that it'll do any good. IF the people with the money want it passed so badly ,sadly, it will pass.

Re: Anti-SOPA Petition Reaches 20K Signatures, Needs 5K More

I would like to also point out that there was a similar petition created on Oct 31, back when SOPA was known as E-PARASITES, that reached its 25,000 signature mark in about 2 weeks. It is currently at 49,935 signatures. It has yet to receive a response from the Whitehouse though. Not sure when they get around to responding.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm