BT Sues Google over Android and More

December 19, 2011 -

According to the BBC, British telecommunications powerhouse BT has filed a lawsuit against Google, alleging that its Android mobile operating system and other services it provides infringe on six patents it holds. The lawsuit alleges that Google’s Android, Google Music, Google Maps, Google Search, Google Places, Google Offers, Google+, and Google's location-based advertising infringe on various patents it holds.

"We believe these claims are without merit, and we will defend vigorously against them," a Google spokesperson told the BBC.

BT says that it holds 5,600 patents and patent applications and has invested millions in mobile technology of the last couple of decades. The company did not say if it would bring a similar suit to a European court.

Source: BBC by way of Ars Technica

Comments

Re: BT Sues Google over Android and More

We really need to come up with a less retarded way to deal with software patents.

Poll