Report: Microsoft Ignored Video Playback Issues in Dashboard Update

December 19, 2011 -

According to a Digital Factory investigation, the new dashboard update that was supposed to turn the Xbox 360 into a savvy media-friendly device suffers from one serious problem: reduced video playback quality. What's more, Microsoft reportedly knew about it and covered it up, says this C&VG report. Apparently the update forces video content to run at "limited range RGB levels," which results in washed out colors. Black looks gray post-update, according to C&VG.

Those who beta tested the update prior to its launch flagged the issue so that Microsoft was aware of it, but according to that Digital Factory investigation, Microsoft ignored the issue, deleted all threads referring to the problem, and sent testers the following generic message:

"Thanks for the feedback! Though we will not be able to incorporate your feedback into this release we will save it for consideration in future releases. Thanks for using the new Xbox Update and please keep up the feedback!"

Microsoft has not publicly commented on this story, but we'll let you know if they do.

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Report: Microsoft Ignored Video Playback Issues in ...

MS has been closing and deleting other threads critical of the latest update as well.

Re: Report: Microsoft Ignored Video Playback Issues in ...

Maybe Microsoft excusing me of owing money way after I canceled Xbox Live Gold led me to no play it for 6 months and then two months ago selling my Kinect and 360 all together but this made me feel like I did the right thing.

I had six systems RRoD me and I waited awhile to get the PS3. Big mistake.

I use my own Bluetooth and keyboard for the PS3. I installed a terabyte HDD from a laptop to the PS3. Online is free but their discount program does more than Gold Ever does because PSN free allows me to do what Xbox Gold can.

I get more for my buck with the PS3 that is for sure.

I am done with Microsoft forget Windows 8 as well

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm