Sony Faces Class Action for PSN Terms of Service Changes

December 20, 2011 -

In September Sony updated the PlayStation Network's terms of service to include a new clause removing the ability for customers (who were more than likely upset over the major security breach that happened earlier in the year) to file future class action lawsuits. Users who accepted the new TOS had to agree to individual arbitration instead of a lawsuit if they had a grievance against Sony. Since users had to agree to the new TOS in order to sign in to PSN, many simply agreed and moved on. Some opted out via mail, but most simply weren't concerned about the changes enough to make the effort.

One person has decided that he deserves his day in court over these changes, and has filed a class action lawsuit. The class in this case represents those who had purchased a PS3 prior to the changes in the TOS. The Northern Californian man who filed the lawsuit alleges that Sony has engaged in unfair business practices by taking away a service users expected to have when they bought the console. The suit further alleges that in adding these new clauses, Sony tried to hide the information deep within a form viewable only on the PS3 - previous user agreements were available online.

Sony has not responded publicly to this story, but chances are that they would have no comment because of the pending litigation. We'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

The last class action lawsuit agianst Sony, which focused on the removal of OtherOS from the PS3, was thrown out by a district court judge who called the company's action "bad business" but not illegal.

Source: GameSpot by way of IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: Sony Faces Class Action for PSN Terms of Service Changes

It's companies like Sony that make me wish we had "SADFART" laws in the US.

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm