Consumer Satisfaction Declines for Netflix, Rises for Amazon

December 28, 2011 -

Online retailer Amazon has risen slightly among the top companies for customer satisfaction while Netflix takes a significant nose dive, according to an annual holiday online retail satisfaction report released today from analytics firm ForeSee.

ForeSee’s latest report scores the top 40 online retailers in 14 different areas, such as content, website functionality, merchandise and pricing. The report also contains top retailers’ scores for the last six years. This year Amazon scored an 88 of 100 due to decent customer support, fast shipping through its Amazon Prime membership program and no taxes on items sold directly by Amazon.

Netflix, on the other hand, saw its customer satisfaction numbers decline by 8 percent to 79 out of 100. While the ForeSee report notes areas where customers are unsatisfied, pricing is the key issue. In July the company raised its subscription price by 60 percent. This made a lot of subscribers unhappy. Then in September the company announced an ill-conceived scheme to separate its disc business from its streaming business. Customers went insane and gave the company a very public thrashing. Naturally it caused Netflix to abandon that plan. But the net result for the third quarter was a loss of 600,000 subscribers.

The declining customer satisfaction numbers are all about pricing and the company's difficulty in keeping streaming content as fresh as consumers would like it to be. Analysts and even Netflix executives see a challenging year ahead for the company..

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Consumer Satisfaction Declines for Netflix, Rises for Amazon

"...and no taxes on items sold directly by Amazon."

*lives in Washington, pays nearly 10% sales tax*

Re: Consumer Satisfaction Declines for Netflix, Rises for Amazon

That's kind of how sales tax works in the US -- as per Quill Corp. v. North Dakota and National Bellas Hess v. Illinois Dept. of Revenue, states can only force businesses to collect sales tax if the business has a physical presence within the borders of the state. It should be noted, however, that the former ruling explicitly states that Congress is "free to decide whether, when, and to what extent the States may burden interstate mail-order concerns with a duty to collect use taxes" -- hence the existence of SB1452.

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am