Domain.com Says its Opposition to SOPA is 'Unwavering'

December 29, 2011 -

Domain registrar and web hosting provider Domain.com is taking advantage of GoDaddy's bad PR related to its support of SOPA to steal away customers. The company, which claims to have over five million domains under its management, said this morning in a press release that it "is unwavering in its opposition to SOPA's infringement of First Amendment rights," adding that it "firmly opposes the legislation, and invites like-minded domain owners to join them by transferring away from companies that have shown support for SOPA."

Ouch.

"While Domain.com respects the rights of intellectual property owners, the SOPA legislation is troubling in its restraint on free speech under the First Amendment. The uncertainty it would create for website owners and the resulting chilling effect on the tech industry is a serious issue the Internet community should not take lightly," said David Andrews, Marketing Director for Domain.com.

GoDaddy customers looking to abandon ship can visit Domain.com and use the coupon code "FREEDOM" to save some money.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Domain.com Says its Opposition to SOPA is 'Unwavering'

see, they know what will happen if SOPA passes, they'll lose a ton of their business in a matter of weeks if not days.

Re: Domain.com Says its Opposition to SOPA is 'Unwavering'

While it's a heartening thought, what's more likely is that they're playing on the fears of the people in order to steal business from their competitors. I highly doubt they genuinely care what happens with SOPA one way or the other.

Re: Domain.com Says its Opposition to SOPA is 'Unwavering'

Possibly ,but it does show how damning supporting that law can be.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am