More Ocean Marketing Antics

December 30, 2011 -

I will be the first to say that I don't want to write another story about Ocean Marketing’s sole employee Paul Christoforo, but recent events warrant that we will write one last story on this guy who has spent the last 48 hours being punished for some pretty reprehensive behavior. The latest chapter in this internet drama relates to Christoforo holding the e-mail and social media accounts for the N-Control game controller hostage, demanding extra compensation, and a contract - the details of which are pretty vague.

This is according to Moisés Chiullan, who took over the public relations for the company after Christoforo was ousted. Chiullan discussed the situation in a Reddit "Ask Me Anything" discussion. After revealing Christoforo's bad behavior in that thread, Christoforo decided to cooperate with the company.

Chiullan writes on Reddit:

I’ve been trying to get him to give up the access to these things he’s been holding hostage (email accounts, Twitter, etc) by asking nicely for a couple of days. The gloves are off now.

Paul told me on the phone two hours ago that "Eight months ago, I locked down all this stuff so they wouldn’t be able to fuck with me. If they don’t give me what I want, it’s war." His demands include a contract written on his terms and substantial compensation, both immediate and for as long as the company continues to exist. He flaunted the PR debacle he created as proof that he "made the company a success," citing all the media and public attention as the "best thing that ever happened to Avenger."

He didn’t count on the fact that I anticipated all of this and have been a computer hardware and web tech since I was 14.

A few hours after the AMA, Chiullan tweeted on the Avenger Controller Twitter account: "Happy to report that Mr. Christoforo has abruptly become very forthcoming regarding digital assets that he was previously withholding."

While the drama is minor, it shows that Christoforo may not have learned his lesson yet.

Source: VentureBeat

Posted in

Comments

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

It's a shame really, this story had sort of come full circle to the point where people were beginning to sympathize with the guy, and then he does this.

lol what a douche

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

He reminds me of Stanley Woo

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

So basically the guy stirred up a shitstorm for the company, and is now holding information hostage unless he gets what he wants. Fucking baby, he's pulling a JT. I see a lawsuit coming.

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

No, he ‚Äčtried‚Äč to hold the accounts hostage, but stupidly forgot that any administrator worth his or her salt will have a backdoor to access these things.

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

Still, even trying ot do so to get his way makes him a king douche.

PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am