Nintendo, Sony, EA Drop SOPA Support

December 30, 2011 -

It looks like Nintendo, Sony, and Electronic Arts have withdrawn their support for the much maligned SOPA bill.  An update to the government’s list of SOPA supporters (PDF) no longer sports the companies’ names (although Sony’s music divisions are still on there).

Why the change of heart?  We’re not sure.

Was EA fearful of duplicating GoDaddy’s highly publicized customer exodus for its support of the bill?  Was Sony looking to duck another Anonymous’s hack attack?  Was Nintendo displeased with what Santa left in its stocking this year?

We’ll keep an eye out for press releases.

Oh, and here’s hoping the Entertainment Software Association takes its name off the list in the near future as well.  Otherwise, Nintendo, Sony, and EA - all of whom are ESA members - are still on that list by proxy.

Source: Business Insider via electronista

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Nintendo, Sony, EA Drop SOPA Support

I think the real point is they support it as long as the public is unaware of such things.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Nintendo, Sony, EA Drop SOPA Support

While I find SOPA repugnant, I wouldn't go as far as to say that these gaming companies have pulled their support for similar legislation. The only real indication of their support for it (aside from the ESA being listed as a supporter) is that they signed onto a list of companies sending a letter for greater IP protection. The letter did not name SOPA or Protect IP. But its intent was to support similar legislation.

That said, They still have not come out to say whether or not they support SOPA directly. Until then their intentions remain clouded but leaning toward support.

Re: Nintendo, Sony, EA Drop SOPA Support

Gld they at least saw the light ,even if it's probably purely for business reasons.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm