Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

December 30, 2011 -

TechDirt reports that the boycott of GoDaddy over its support for SOPA may be fizzling out. Pointing to data from DailyChanges, TechDirt says that the domain name and hosting service actually gained more customers than it lost. According to this graphic, GoDaddy saw a net gain of 20,748 new domains registered (43,304 new registrations versus 35,907 deletions) yesterday.

While proponents of the anti-piracy bill might look to this as a victory for GoDaddy, it's hard to say if the company could continue to sustain its registration numbers if the boycott continues much longer, and opponents of the bill have accomplished one important thing: they have forced GoDaddy to strongly and publicly retract its support for the bill.

Inevitably the Internet community has to decide what the goal of a boycott is: do they want companies to change their positions on SOPA or take a scorched earth position?

Either way, we will continue to follow this story to whatever conclusion it may come to.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

The fact remains that GoDaddy lost tens of thousands, if not more than 100,000, domains during this time.

And it was certainly enough of an impact to get them to back off SOPA to a degree.

What I haven't seen a figure on is how many hosting-only accounts they lost - and I'm among those who switched to somebody else for hosting.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Proof that tits are more powerful than ideals.  Oh well.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Didn't they say they were withdrawing support but not actually do it? Or did they later actually withdraw support?

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

So... 43,304 new - 35,907 deleted = 20,748 net gain?  Man, I suck at this new math.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

That final tally includes transfers in and out.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Ah.  Yeah, I didn't click through the linked source when I made my earlier comment.  Still, that info should probably be in the article, because as it stands, it seems to be an obvious error.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Well, so much for that idea. sad

I'd still urge boycotting any and all companies who'd support this bill.  I'd boycott Marvel myself, but I've been doing that really since they published "One More Day!"

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm