Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

December 30, 2011 -

TechDirt reports that the boycott of GoDaddy over its support for SOPA may be fizzling out. Pointing to data from DailyChanges, TechDirt says that the domain name and hosting service actually gained more customers than it lost. According to this graphic, GoDaddy saw a net gain of 20,748 new domains registered (43,304 new registrations versus 35,907 deletions) yesterday.

While proponents of the anti-piracy bill might look to this as a victory for GoDaddy, it's hard to say if the company could continue to sustain its registration numbers if the boycott continues much longer, and opponents of the bill have accomplished one important thing: they have forced GoDaddy to strongly and publicly retract its support for the bill.

Inevitably the Internet community has to decide what the goal of a boycott is: do they want companies to change their positions on SOPA or take a scorched earth position?

Either way, we will continue to follow this story to whatever conclusion it may come to.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

The fact remains that GoDaddy lost tens of thousands, if not more than 100,000, domains during this time.

And it was certainly enough of an impact to get them to back off SOPA to a degree.

What I haven't seen a figure on is how many hosting-only accounts they lost - and I'm among those who switched to somebody else for hosting.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Proof that tits are more powerful than ideals.  Oh well.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Didn't they say they were withdrawing support but not actually do it? Or did they later actually withdraw support?

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

So... 43,304 new - 35,907 deleted = 20,748 net gain?  Man, I suck at this new math.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

That final tally includes transfers in and out.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Ah.  Yeah, I didn't click through the linked source when I made my earlier comment.  Still, that info should probably be in the article, because as it stands, it seems to be an obvious error.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Well, so much for that idea. sad

I'd still urge boycotting any and all companies who'd support this bill.  I'd boycott Marvel myself, but I've been doing that really since they published "One More Day!"

Poll

What is #GamerGate about?:

quiknkoldI'm 7 years old, and my cousin(Also 7, maybe 8 at this time) tells me has Battletoads. its Summer Vacation. We play and play and play until finally, We won coop. Those were the days.09/23/2014 - 5:29pm
quiknkoldlets take a moment to share some gaming memories, shall we?09/23/2014 - 5:28pm
MechaTama31I buy stuff off the eshop because it gives me the convenience of a flashcart without the guilt.09/23/2014 - 5:03pm
Montewell thanks for the info Eisen; try that the next time i need something off the eshop09/23/2014 - 3:54pm
james_fudgere: MP, i've sent tech support a note - thank you :)09/23/2014 - 3:14pm
IanCNah that wasnt directed at you Andrew :)09/23/2014 - 3:00pm
Papa MidnightRe: SIEGE 2014 Keynote: oh dear...09/23/2014 - 2:44pm
MaskedPixelanteDear GP, something called "doubleverify" is causing some nasty browser issues on my end. Probably one of your ads.09/23/2014 - 2:36pm
Andrew EisenOh hell no. No, it took Nintendo a dog's age just to get to the point its competitors have been at for a while! (And it's still not there yet, in a lot of respects.)09/23/2014 - 2:26pm
IanCSame as PSN handles it, fi you are trying to say only nintendo do that.09/23/2014 - 2:23pm
Andrew EisenYou have to try to purchase something first. Pick a game, hit purchase and if your wallet doesn't have enough to cover it, you'll be given an option to "add exact funds" or something like that.09/23/2014 - 2:05pm
MonteI have seen no option for that on my 3DS; anytime i want to add funds it only gives me the option to add in denominations of $10, 20, 50 or 10009/23/2014 - 2:03pm
IanCWhat Andrew Wilson said. PSN is the same when you make a purchase over a certain price (£5 in the UK)09/23/2014 - 2:02pm
Andrew EisenNeither eShop charges sales tax either. At least in California.09/23/2014 - 2:00pm
Andrew EisenBoth Wii U and 3DS eShops allow you to add funds in the exact amount of whatever's in your shopping cart. If your game is $39.99, you can add exactly $39.99.09/23/2014 - 1:57pm
Infophile@Matthew Wilson: As I understand it, any regulations to force tax online would also set up an easy database for these stores to use, minimizing overhead.09/23/2014 - 1:30pm
MonteReally, the eshop just does next to nothing to make buying digitally advantagous for the customer. Its nice to have the game on my 3DS, but i can get more for less buying a physical copy at retail. And that's not even counting buying used09/23/2014 - 1:18pm
MonteIanC, The Eshop wallet system only lets you add funds in set denominations and the tax makes sure you no longer have round numbers so you ALWAYS loose money. A $39.99 game for instance requires you to add $50 instead of just $4009/23/2014 - 1:13pm
Matthew Wilsonbut thats just it those sites, even the small ones, sell all over the country.09/23/2014 - 11:12am
Neenekoeither that or it would follow the car model of today. big ticket items are taxed according to your residence, not where you buy them.09/23/2014 - 11:07am