Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

December 30, 2011 -

TechDirt reports that the boycott of GoDaddy over its support for SOPA may be fizzling out. Pointing to data from DailyChanges, TechDirt says that the domain name and hosting service actually gained more customers than it lost. According to this graphic, GoDaddy saw a net gain of 20,748 new domains registered (43,304 new registrations versus 35,907 deletions) yesterday.

While proponents of the anti-piracy bill might look to this as a victory for GoDaddy, it's hard to say if the company could continue to sustain its registration numbers if the boycott continues much longer, and opponents of the bill have accomplished one important thing: they have forced GoDaddy to strongly and publicly retract its support for the bill.

Inevitably the Internet community has to decide what the goal of a boycott is: do they want companies to change their positions on SOPA or take a scorched earth position?

Either way, we will continue to follow this story to whatever conclusion it may come to.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

The fact remains that GoDaddy lost tens of thousands, if not more than 100,000, domains during this time.

And it was certainly enough of an impact to get them to back off SOPA to a degree.

What I haven't seen a figure on is how many hosting-only accounts they lost - and I'm among those who switched to somebody else for hosting.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Proof that tits are more powerful than ideals.  Oh well.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Didn't they say they were withdrawing support but not actually do it? Or did they later actually withdraw support?

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

So... 43,304 new - 35,907 deleted = 20,748 net gain?  Man, I suck at this new math.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

That final tally includes transfers in and out.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Ah.  Yeah, I didn't click through the linked source when I made my earlier comment.  Still, that info should probably be in the article, because as it stands, it seems to be an obvious error.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Well, so much for that idea. sad

I'd still urge boycotting any and all companies who'd support this bill.  I'd boycott Marvel myself, but I've been doing that really since they published "One More Day!"

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm