IIPA Files Annual Report to Government on Copyright Infringement Hot Spots

The International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA) has published its annual written submission to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative complaining about copyright infringement and file-sharing. The annual report from the organization comprised mostly of trade groups representing the entertainment and movie industries (Association of American Publishers, BSA, ESA, Independent Film & Television Alliance, MPAA, National Music Publishers’ Association, the RIAA, etc.) says that Canada, China, Russia and the Ukraine should be listed as "Special 301" in the Priority Watch List. the Special 301 designation means a severe lack of "adequacy and effectiveness of U.S. trading partners’ protection of intellectual property rights."

You can get a great rundown of how the IIPA feels about enforcement efforts in countries like China, Canada, the Ukraine, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Russia, and more at TorrentFreak.

The overall impression most readers will come away with is that – even in countries that are making a serious effort to combat copyright infringement – the IIPA wants them to do more or do a better job. It's like going home for Christmas and getting criticized by your mom for not giving her any grandchildren yet even though you're the CEO of a million dollar company. Sheesh.

Source: TorrentFreak

DorthLous says:

Ok, so just so the stats are clear, you can technically go down to 26 levels of replies, the 26th being entirely invisible, so the 25th is the last one. However, it seems 20-21 are the last useful ones. Well, Science!

MechaTama31 says:

Come now, you're just rationalizing bigotry.  What hope is there for peace if neither side is willing to put aside old grudges and come to the table?  If Arabs and Israelis can learn to live in peace, why can't w-

*places fingers to earpiece and looks to the side*

OK, I'm just getting word that this is actually not the greatest example to illustrate my point.

DorthLous says:

Well, we've often time asked them to come peacefully at the discussion table so that we may exchange on the subject. But always they ignore us or attack us… Nay, I say, no more of the un-life propaganda. And I've never been at ease with their whole fascination with all our body parts that start with 'b'. Brain, blood and so on…

MechaTama31 says:

…except the ones who are dead.  Though now that I think about it, that seems kind of discriminatory.  Are we just a bunch of life-ists, discriminating against the Differently Animated?  Media is full of images of violence against zombies, vampires, etc.  Perhaps we are unfairly marginalizing these groups.

MechaTama31 says:

Because if you keep killing the grandchildren she does have, then it's a more legitimate complaint when she pesters you about not having any grandkids.  It's not a very good extension to the metaphor, I know.  That's why I ended with "Or something…"

MechaTama31 says:

If you can find where I say "Chinese people" in that post, I will be mightily impressed.  The entire article was about countries being on the copyright watchlist.  At the end, the article talks about how some of these countries are doing a lot to enforce copyright, just not enough in the IIPA's view.  The article then makes an analogy to how it would be like being criticized by your mom for giving her no grandkids, even though you are successful in other areas.  My post was an extension to that analogy, to say that in China's case, the criticism is entirely justified.  The only reason my post mentioned killing the grandkids is because that is what the criticism in the analogy was about: no grandkids.  I'm sorry if that went over your head, but at no point did I say anything about Chinese people.

MechaTama31 says:

How do you mean?  What group does China belong to that I am stereotyping, and how exactly am I stereotyping it?  Or are you just confused about the distinction between China, the country, and Chinese people?

MechaTama31 says:

Or in China's case, going home for Christmas and getting criticized by your mom for not giving her any grandchildren yet even though you already murdered most of the grandchildren she already had.  Or something…