Blizzard Warns Diablo III Cheaters: We Will Permanently Ban You

While it goes without saying, Blizzard is saying it out loud so that Diablo III players understand the ramifications of cheating or using exploits: if you do, then you will be swiftly and permanently banned. Any users found using hacks, bots, or modifications of any kind will be permanently banned from

"Playing Diablo III legitimately means playing with an unaltered game client. Doing otherwise violates our policies for and Diablo III, and it goes against the spirit of fair play that all of our games are based on," the company wrote on "We strongly recommend that you avoid using any hacks, cheats, bots, or exploits. Suspensions and bans of players that have used or start using cheats and hacks will begin in the near future."

Anyone that is shocked or dismayed about being permanently banned for cheating is either in denial or grossly ignorant of how Blizzard operates all of its online-enabled games.

Source: Polygon

E. Zachary Knight says:

Did I complain about Blizzard making Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 always online? Yes I did. I still do. Why? Because I wanted to buy them but don't want to be tethered to an internet connection whenever I want to play. My gaming should never revolve around a constant internet connection.

However, I did do something about it. I put my money where my mouth is and refuse to buy either game. That however, does not mean I am not allowed to complain about the always online "feature". Without that, I would have bought these games. As it stands, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, and Starcraft are the last Blizzard games I will ever buy.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

SeanB says:

So they warned us plenty in advance, people bitched about it that whole time, the warnings are on the box, but you still finish with

"but I didn't purchase it to play online"

Can't help you

hellfire7885 says:

Fair enough, but I didn't purchase it to play online. If they had simply called it Diablo Online or something, that might make more sense.

hellfire7885 says:

So what makes Diablo 3 such a snowflake? if I get banned from multiplayeri n GTA4, should I no longer be able to play the story since GTA4 is technically an online game?

And in that reasoning why let you play by yourself at all if it's meant to be always online?

prh99 says:

Too bad I already blew through all four acts with a witch doctor and a demon hunter, and while I could increase the difficulty and the dungeon are randomly generated (just as they were in the original) it does not in my opinion offer a enough replay value.  Since I am done with it they can do what they want.  It doesn't help the story sucks, or at least uses some pretty cheap an unimaginative plot twists.

TheEggplant says:

So people who use trainers need to watch out, but the ones stripping other's accounts are given a pass? Thank you Blizzard for confirming beyond a doubt where your priorities lie. You used to be cool.

SeanB says:

Fastest selling game of all time, and only a small percentage of people whining, and all the server problems were resolved in DAYS. How long did it take for FFXIV to get worked out? How about WWII online?

I think Blizzard is doing alright…..

Andrew Eisen says:

Yeah, and wouldn't it be nice if Blizzard had listened to their fans for the past year, implemented an offline mode for single player and thereby avoided a litany of self-induced headaches while at the same time making their customers happy and selling even more copies of Diablo III?

Andrew Eisen

SeanB says:

"….so you have no right to dictate to us how you want us to play the game."

Really? I'm pretty sure they do….

"….create a special area reserved for multiplayer cheaters."

Well… maybe, but why? Seriously, why should they go to the trouble, code the new servers, just so people can 'do what they want'?

"Result:  Everyone is happy and you make a lot more money."

No, banning cheaters makes them more money. They've proven this time and time again. Ban cheaters, they whine and bitch a bit, then go make new accounts and spend more money.

Left4Dead says:

Dear Blizzard – do this instead:  First, create a single player, version of your game and release it at a significantly reduced cost.  I and millions of other gamers are only interested in playing the single player version, so you have no right to dictate to us how you want us to play the game.  If we want to cheat in single player, then great!  If we want to play it how you envisioned, then great!  If you add legitimate cheat codes, even better!  We really only care to play your games a couple of times – multiplayer is boring to many people.

Next, create a special area reserved for multiplayer cheaters.  Once a game key has been flagged as cheating online, it can only join games with other cheaters.  All the cheaters can continue to play the game with each other and all the non-cheaters can continue to play the game with each other.  Both groups are satisfied (except for the occasional cheater who decides to go legit).  Cheaters could even get their own leaderboards too so they can see who the best cheaters are.  Non-cheaters can optionally join cheater games but the two game types should be distinctly separated so that it is easy for a non-cheater to find non-cheater games.

Result:  Everyone is happy and you make a lot more money.

-- Left4Dead --

SeanB says:

yeah, wouldn't it be nice if blizzard had told everyone a year in advance that it was an online only game, and maybe put a warning on the box explaining that? Maybe then people would stop whining about the fact that the game is online only.

Andrew Eisen says:

Poor cheaters.  If only Blizzard had allowed players to play single-player Diablo III offline, they'd be able to cheat away to their hearts' content.

Andrew Eisen

SeanB says:

When you buy an online game, you need to understand that it is AN ONLINE GAME.

If you want to play a single player game, offline, then go buy a different game. Diablo 3 is not for you.