THQ Dumps Director Guillermo Del Toro's Video Game Project

August 7, 2012 -

Director Guillermo Del Toro's inSANE video game project has been canceled by THQ as the company announces financial results for its latest quarter. In a conference call with analysts and media to discuss its latest results, THQ president Jason Rubin said that the game had been canceled as part of the company's ongoing cost cutting, belt tightening and restructuring.

Earlier in the year the company canceled Devil's Third and sold off the UFC license to EA. Those adjustments and a number of layoffs helped the company cut spending to the tune of $180 million and $32 million in spending on licensing costs, according to Chief Executive Brian Farrell.

Del Toro retains the rights to his game, which means he could take it to another publisher if he wants to go that route, though in the past he had said that THQ was the only publisher that was willing to take a chance on his idea.

In the same conference call, Rubin also indicated that THQ had also halted development on casual Facebook and mobile games. The company is now focused on a handful of games including the South Park RPG, a sequel to Homefront, its WWE license and a sequel to Metro 2033 series.

Source: LA Times

Photo © 2012 Complete Gallery / Shutterstock.com


Comments

Re: THQ Dumps Director Guillermo Del Toro's Video Game Project

That's a shame even if its watered down it could still be visually interesting.

 

YAY they are still doing metro 2033!!


Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Let's renegotiate them.

---

http://zippydsm.deviantart.com/

Re: THQ Dumps Director Guillermo Del Toro's Video Game Project

WWE and South Park instead of Del Toro?  I dont want to live on this planet any more.

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician