Dehydrated Teenager Hospitalized After 4-Day CoD Marathon

CBS Cleveland News is reporting that 15-year-old Tyler Rigby has been hospitalized after a 4-day gaming marathon left him severely dehydrated.  Reportedly, the Columbus teen locked himself in his room to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.  According to his mother, he emerged for the occasional potty and snack break.

It’s not totally clear from the report but it sounds like he collapsed during one of those breaks.

“It’s like he was looking at me but he wasn’t there. It was like he was looking through me,” said Jennifer Thompson, Tyler’s aunt. “We were talking and I heard a thump and I looked over and he just fell.”

Apparently Tyler tried to get to his feet because his mother said he fell over three times.

Tyler is expected to be just fine but he may have to find a new way to occupy his time because according to his mom, “The Xbox is gone.”

Source: WCMH-TV

Image Credit:

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Atrayo says:

Hi There,

The State would have recourse to send a social worker to the home of the child. To do an evaluation to see if the parent(s) are unfit with child supervision. Because if the teenager didn't take those infrequent breaks, the child would've easily become a real fatality. I recall stories like these happening in Asia with a Internet Access Shop. After a couple days of straight playing the person drops dead from exhaustion.

NyuRena says:

I'd say his biggest failing is doing a 4 day marathon without taking enough care of his body.

Either way, just 3 more years and he can game to his death at his own expense. Or maybe he's learned a lesson?

SeanB says:

My oldest is 9, but it's the same here. Kids don't get to have control of entertainment in my house. They have to ask me before anything is turned on.

Toys, books, games, and taking veggies from the fridge. Those are all allowed without permission.

DanHoyt says:

Bad parenting, you haven't seen your son do anything other than sit in his room and play Call of Duty for four days and it didn't occur to you that something might be wrong? I don't care if he is 15, that's ridiculous.

james_fudge says:

I have a son and when I call him to eat dinner he comes down stairs because he knows i'll go find him. Bad parenting all the way. Here's a pro tip for parents that can't get their kids to leave their rooms:

1) find breaker box (usually in the basement)

2) find breaker to child's room.

3) turn to the off position.

4) wait for appearance from son/daughter asking if the power went out.

HilaryDuffGta says:

just further proof that some parents are just beyond idiots and they do not want to parent their teen or child,they figure "oh its ok he's just playing a racing game on his x station"

HilaryDuffGta says:

i say no,if he is 15 and cant handle playing his machine maturley and learning that you do not do four day gaming marathons then i think the aunt and mother should just get rid of the x box,get rid of his television and leave him with just an air mattress to sleep on.

NyuRena says:

Darwin awards. Plain and simple. I play quite a lot of video games too, always have, but this is crazy.  (One day he will have to work to pay for his games and this will be less of an issue anyways.)

The "Xbox is gone" will certainly not go over well in their relationship.. Perhaps he can earn it back?