Australia’s Attorney General John Rau has done an about face according to Indaily, who reports that he has given a greenlight to both MA15+ and R18+ games rating classifications. Previously he had made a decision to abolish the MA15+ classification in South Australia when the new 18-rated game classification was approved.
The Attorney General said that the recently released guidelines were "stringent enough" and different enough from an earlier draft he had some qualms about.
"The new MA15+ classification is now so different to the previous one that I no longer see an issue with it," Rau said. "I will, however, keep a watching brief on MA15+ games. The guidelines include much tighter requirements for every level of classifications – in particular, what constitutes MA15+."
The new R18+ classification and the new guidelines are set to be introduced in Australia on January 1, 2013.