Cliff Bleszinski to Capcom: ‘We Can Fix Resident Evil 6’

Former Gears of War designer and Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski is making the news today after tweeting a direct message to Capcom about "fixing" Resident Evil 6. Capcom released its latest horror survival action game on various platforms earlier this month to mostly mixed reviews. Bleszinski left Epic Games earlier this month after working at the company for 20 years, claiming that he needed to take a break before tackling the "next stage" of his career.

"Hey, Capcom. Call me," he wrote on his Twitter feed. "We can fix Resident Evil. Together."

We assume that his tweet is a sincere offer. Apparently Bleszinski is not acting like someone who wants to be unemployed for very long; according to GameSpot he has visited the offices of Activision, Zynga, Double Fine, and Electronic Arts. He has also met with God of War and Twisted Metal designer David Jaffe since leaving Epic earlier this month…

Source: GameSpot

Andrew Eisen says:

Volnutt, you mean?  They didn't kill him off.  You still see him in some of the fighting games.

But again, Legends is just not that popular.  I understand you have a lot of love for the character but cancelling Legends 3 seemed to be a reasonable business decision.

-The main guy championing the game is gone.

-There hasn't been an entry in the series in over a decade.

-None of the games sold all that well in the first place.

Sad as it is that the game got cancelled, it doesn't strike me as a bone-headed move by Capcom.

Now, as for why there hasn't been a new Mega Man game (or announcement of one) in the last two and a half years… yeah, that's a whole other discussion entirely.

Andrew Eisen

lordlundar says:

You are mistaken hellfire. A small enthusiastic fanbase was willing to throw money at Capcom for the release, but a small enthusiastic fanbase does not a great selling game make. Most of the gaming community at large holds at best a "meh" reaction to MML and a smaller group dislikes it for the deviation from the original IP.

When I worked retail I always had someone come up to me and ask "why don't you carry this? Everyone would buy a copy of it because I want a copy of it" when the truth was less than a tenth of a percent would actually ask for it. "I want it so everyone must want it" is a terrible metric to go by and that's the metric that MML3 was being shown as.

Andrew Eisen says:

No, it's not.  Not even close.  Mega Man as a whole?  Yes.  Legends specifically?  No.  Keiji Inafune said it himself at the 2007 Tokyo Game Show:

"I really have a lot of memories with all the Mega Man titles and it's difficult to just pick one of them as my favorite.  But if I were to do so, it would be the game that I'd consider to be like a clumsy son. It's Mega Man Legends, a title that really didn't sell well in the Mega Man franchise.  It didn't sell anywhere as well as I had anticipated.  I was really confident about the game during its development, considering how fun the game was. It was really something new, something that we thought would be unfortunate if gamers didn't play. And we released it, and oops!"

Andrew Eisen

hellfire7885 says:

Because Megaman Legends is one of their best selling franchises and people were ready to throw their money at Capcom for the next game in the series.

locopuyo says:

There are a lot of core concepts that make a good game shared across all genres.  If you're really good at making games in one or two genres you can probably make a good game in any genre. Cliff proved himself in competitive FPS and TPS games.  That doesn't necessarily mean he could make a good horror survival game, but I bet it would be better than what Capcom has been spitting out.

lordlundar says:

While I agree the "idiot"part and the attitude is uncalled for, he does have a point. Cliffy B is known for FPS, TPS, and platformers earlier on in his career. Survival horror just isn't his dossier at all and him saying that he can fix survival horror is like saying Square Enix's development arm can fix the Modern Military Shooter genre.

Kajex says:

I don't recall anything in this article mentioning Cliff wanted to make RE6 into Gears of War.

Stop putting words into people's mouths, and stop calling them idiots simply because you came to a premature conclusion without thinking.

IanC says:

Lol. Lets make Resident Evil MORE LIKE the Gears of War. Thats what it needs! Idiot.

BTW theres a great Resident Evil game on the 3DS, Revelations. If they made the console game more like that instead of like GoW then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Kajex says:

calling the new RE's "horror survival" is like calling a mutt pure bread.

… I was going to comment, but… I don't think you misspelled anything, when I read that in context.

GrimCW says:

calling the new RE's "horror survival" is like calling a mutt pure bread.

good to see he has some initiative though and isn't expecting them to come to him.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Capcom is a train wreck they have no idea what they are doing they can not maintain a wish washy development emphasis and ignore some of their better brands….