Nintendo of Canada: Wii Mini Missing Core Features to Keep Cost Low

Nintendo of Canada communications manager director Matt Ryan tells Polygon that the Wii Mini lacks important features such as GameCube backwards compatibility and online connectivity because the firm wanted to keep the cost low so that "families" and "non-core gamers" could afford the device. Nintendo announced the pared down Nintendo Wii recently as being only for Canada and set at a suggested retail price of $99 CAN.

"We want the system to be as affordable as possible to everybody, and the widest audience possible. By taking out functionality, that allows us to keep the cost down," Ryan told Polygon. "There's a consumer out there, there are gamers who have not bought a Wii yet, and there are gamers who have a Wii and want a second one for the cottage, or the chalet, or whatever, who actually don't need the online functionality. So we basically stripped all the online functionality out, and the end result is cost savings for the person buying Wii Mini at $99."

Ryan went on to say that the system is specifically designed for families, suggesting that the Wii and Wii U are not casual devices at all. Forget that your grandparents and your mom and dad may have been using the Wii to play games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports… Yeah…

"Wii Mini is designed for families, or a late adopter, or someone who maybe isn't even a gamer yet, and maybe doesn't realize they've got a gamer hiding inside of them."

You can read all of Ryan's comments on Polygon.

Source: Destructoid

Sleaker says:

I get my Ouya in 4 months, same cost (some people get them this month). Fully internet capable too.  I don't think Nintendo really understands low cost devices very well.

If it wasn't for a gamer, the only thing they should have added was an internet browser and a network port and called it a Wii Mini.

Andrew Eisen says:

"…it's hard to deny that the only really good stuff was made in house."

Not even remotely true.  Yes, the cream of the crop is the 1st party stuff and yes, the Wii received the lion's share of shovelware but there were oodles of excellent third party games on that system.

Andrew Eisen

Ashura01 says:

Don't get me wrong, I love that more people got into videogames thanks to the wii, but still, it's hard to deny that the only really good stuff was made in house. A lot of the third party stuff was garbage.

Zen says:

If they come out in the US (or aren't a pain to import/have an issue with North American games) I may get one just to have it for my ever growing collection.  Plus the kids could use it in their room.  One thing I have wondered about though that I haven't seen brought up anywhere…I understand they removed the wifi from the unit, but would it still work with a USB to Ethernet adapter like the original Wii did?  I finally saw images that showed there is a single USB port located on the back of the system so I wonder if that would be an option for games like Mario Kart or what not.

hellfire7885 says:

Still, it's a game console, it play games, that's not really handicapped. Heck, I'd even consider one of these if I didn't have a regular Wii already.

Zen says:

Actually, the Game Boy Advance Micro was handicapped by the loss of all backwards compatibility that every previous version of the GBA supported.  I still think fondly of it and play it from time to time even now when I don't feel like playing GBA on the TV through my Gamecube.

Haunted Quiche says:

To be honest, I think this seems like a very good move. It's only people who've been gaming for a long time that would ever care about the Gamecube compatibility and if stripping out the online stuff brings it down to such a cheap price, I think it will help it sell more.

The thing about enticing non-gamers is they are not going to be willing to shell out the massive amounts of cash a console costs these days, but this is more feasible as a toy to try.