Report: European Wii U eShop Prohibits Access to Mature Content During the Day

Apparently taking cues from 'Cinemax' or 'Showtime After Dark,' Eurogamer has discovered that the European Wii U eShop prohibits all consumers from accessing mature-rated games and content during the daytime hours.

The restriction apparently applies to game content that carry's PEGI's 18 ratings label in Europe (similar to the ESRB's "M" for "Mature" ratings in the U.S.). The publication learned this fact while trying to look at information about two mature games ZombiU and Assassin's Creed 3. When trying to look at information about the game during the daytime, Eurogamer was greeted with the following message:

"You cannot view this content. The times during which this content can be viewed have been restricted."

No such restrictions exist on the North American Wii U eShop. According to a thread on NeoGAF one user from Italy was told by a Nintendo rep. that the daytime restrictions apply to all – even though he informed them that he was over the age of 18. The rep. told him that 18-rated content is accessible only between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.

"Nintendo has always aimed to offer gameplay experiences suited to all age groups, observing carefully all the relevant regulations regarding content access that are present in the various European countries," the rep. replied to the user in an email. "We have thus decided to restrict the access to content which is unsuitable to minors (PEGI) to the [11 p.m. to 3 a.m.] time window."

A subsequent email to the user added: "It is an additional precaution to make sure that minors cannot access content which is inappropriate for their age."

Source: Polygon, image via Eurogamer.

Andrew Eisen says:

Very true but (again) that's not what I've been doing and I doubt using my mod status as an excuse to do so was what DorthLous was getting at.  I'm no mind reader but I believe his point was that being a mod, I can ban you for being needlessly rude, something I've warned you about before.

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

Like I said: "but hey, maybe the law specifies those hours.  I don't know."

And considering that I haven't been "blaming Nintendo again and again," it's not I that has to worry about looking like a complete douchebag.

Andrew Eisen

DorthLous says:

While I can understand not agreeing with Andrew (I sometime don't as well, although most of the time my opinion doesn't differ much from his), you do realize he's a mod, right?

jedidethfreak says:

The law DOES specify those hours.  Maybe you should have looked that up instead of blaming Nintendo again and again like a complete douchebag, hmmm?

Andrew Eisen says:

I love Nintendo but I'll certainly mock them when they do silly things.  If you're referring to my very first comment, I wrote that before I was informed that Nintendo of Europe is headquartered in Germany and as such must comply with a local law that states that "content rated 18+ must be made available only at night."

Still, 11p – 3a?  Sounds like Nintendo's going a bit overboard (hence my "short German nights" crack) but hey, maybe the law specifies those hours.  I don't know.   Whoever's fault it is, Nintendo's, Germany's or a mixture of the two, the policy is stupid and accomplishes nothing.

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

Indeed, but who or whatever's responsible, I'm still going to point out how nigh incomprehensibly stupid that solution is.

"Under German law, content rated 18+ must be made available only at night."

German nights are only 4 hours long, eh Nintendo?

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

That is unbelievably, mind-numbingly stupid.  Forget the fact that this policy is meant to address a non-existent problem.  Even if it was an issue, this solution is a completely ineffective way to address it.  The only thing this accomplishes is inconveniencing adult gamers who consequently, will spend less.

Yeah, good move, Nintendo.

Andrew Eisen