Newtown Boy Organizes Local Movement to Throw Away Violent Video Games

The Hartford Courant is highlighting a story about a 12-year-old Newtown, Connecticut boy who has started a campaign to "stop playing violent video games." Max Goldstein, a 12-year-old student who attends Newtown Middle School, says that he decided to stop playing games like "Call of Duty" after attending the funeral of one of his brother's friends who had been killed during the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting last Friday.

On Wednesday night he spoke at a gathering for Newtown United, a group comprised of Newtown citizens and families of the victims calling on the government to ban assault weapons and to enact stricter gun control rules. Goldstein, his brother, and other kids in the area decided that they would give up playing violent shooter games, and would try to convince other children to do the same with a new initiative called "Played Out." With the help of his step-father (Craig Mittleman), Goldstein said that his group will organize a place for people to drop off violent games and destroy them. He will get a bin for a local refuse company which will be placed outside the local youth center in the next several days.

Goldstein's mother, Roberta Mittleman said that she prohibited her son from playing games like Call of Duty, but eventually gave in because he was an "A-student and a gentle kid and she didn't see any real harm in it."

"I don't believe it's a root cause, but it's a contributing factor," Roberta Mittleman told the Courant.

It should be noted that the Call of Duty series is rated "M" for "Mature" by the ESRB and is not intended for use by 12-year-old boys.

Source: Hartford Courant

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on RedditEmail this to someone

Comments are closed.