Torture Mechanic Removed from Splinter Cell: Blacklist

A torture mechanic in Splinter Cell: Blacklist has been removed following a negative reaction (according to GameSpot based on a Eurogamer report). The gameplay mechanic let Sam Fisher drive a knife into an enemy's clavicle in an attempt to extract information. During the scene players can press a button to twist the knife as a means to get the information that want from the target. At the end of the scene the player has the option to let the enemy live or kill him. The gameplay mechanic was part of a demo that was released back in August.

Apparently not everyone was in love with this mechanic and Ubisoft decided that it would not be in the final version of the game being released in late August.

"Definitely we are not going to see when the game's coming out that there are torture scenes in it. That scene is not there anymore," producer Andrew Wilson said. "I've not really heard anyone say they loved it…"

Wilson added that the scene is not indicative of the game's overall tone, adding that it was out of context and "in an unabridged snapshot, it seemed like pretty tough material."

"We've scaled a lot of that back, and as we've gone through the process of development there are always things that you feel are not working as well. Every game does this, and cuts certain things," he added.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is set for an August 20 release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The game is being developed by Ubisoft Toronto, with help from Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Shanghai.

Source: Eurogamer by way of GameSpot

jedidethfreak says:

So, you think gaming teaches killing?

You just outlined the premise of that very argument…

If they want to pull it, I'm okay with that.  That being said, it should be done to make the game better, not to make some people feel better about the game.

Andrew Eisen says:

Actually, I just misread your closing statement.  Reading quickly, I thought you'd said triple A publishers probably don't want to put torture in their games.  That's why I brought up the previous game.

Andrew Eisen

Technogeek says:

I never played that game, so feel free to keep that in mind when reading any comments I make on this post, but it sounds like you're proving my point about their inability to depict torture in a way that doesn't trivialize the act. (That or the severity of the interrogation sequences isn't such that they would constitute torture, in which case it's not really relevant.)

Papa Midnight says:

That was the very first thing I noticed. It was a-ok in 2010 when you beat people to hell and used your environment as an interactive assist with interrogating your foes (with various weapons coming into play), but it's a problem now?

Technogeek says:

Honestly, I really don't have a problem with it in this case. I mean, I'm sure it's possible to present torture in a way that doesn't lead to normalizing or trivializing it, but I doubt your average triple-A publisher will have the ability or the desire to do so.

ALIENwolve says:

Uhhh…. yeaaaah.

I can't say I would enjoy an interactive torture of a man as Sam Fisher; I'd cringe immensely. I kinda prefer the SNEAKING AROUND thing. Y'know, that defining element of Splinter Cell.