Next Xbox Rumored to Use Blu-Ray, Feature ‘Always Connected’ Requirement

Microsoft's next Xbox system will use Blu-Ray and will require users to be always connected to Xbox Live, according to an Edge report citing sources with "first-hand experience."

The new raft of rumors are an echo of an older rumor post by VG247 back in April 2012 – also citing anonymous sources close to the company.

While the Blu-ray rumor makes sense (it is the de facto standard format for physical disc media), the "always online" requirement would likely be to combat second hand games sales. The Edge source also claims an improved Kinect system – also a no-brainer.

"We do not comment on rumors or speculation," a Microsoft Spokesperson told us in response to our request for comment on this story. "We are always thinking about what is next for our platform, but we don’t have anything further to share at this time."

Source: Joystiq

Longjocks says:

Bleh. It already sometimes takes 10 minutes for Far Cry 3 to connect to Ubi servers before I can play it on my Xbox, which is why I now always play it only when disconnected from Live. Instant access! If all my games were like that I'd have to just give up on the pastime altogether.

I don't see this as something that's going to happen. Yet it wouldn't surprise me since the gaming industry is just doing everything in its power to discourage us from using their products.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Nothing is worse than preventing the use of used games. This handicaps the system heavily, Tho I doubt it will kill the PS4 because of all the morons who happily buy what they are told too…

Hevach says:

It'll take a lot more than this to kill the entire line. Sony more than survived false starts with the PS3, PSP, and Vita, and Nintendo bounced right back from a two generation slide from the top to the bottom.

Windows itself has survived worse mistakes than this would be, and Microsoft has a pattern with that: When one is doing badly enough, it's either addressed in a service pack (95, XP, Vista) or the next version is rushed out early so support can be ditched on the dud (3.0, Me).

ZippyDSMlee says:

If they want to limit sales harshly they will do it. It should work as most noobs and fool gamers with money will buy into it happily. I hope it fails horribly and forces them to shut down the Xbox console line….

Andrew Eisen says:

For the same reason the next Xbox will be able to play used games.  It would be retail suicide to do otherwise.

There's a big difference between the consumer expectations of an online gaming service and a dedicated gaming console.

Andrew Eisen

jedidethfreak says:

I disagree. Considering how many different times this rumor has popped up from different sources, along with Sony's patent for console DRM, I'm inclined to consider it likely.

Also, figure in the mandatory game installs and it's clear MS and Sony want the bad parts of PC gaming on their consoles.

Andrew Eisen says:

"Microsoft's next Xbox system… will require users to be always connected to Xbox Live."

In order to play games on the system?  Never going to happen.

Andrew Eisen

GrimCW says:

I dunno.. EA added microtransactions to DS3, and DLC has increased in price while decreasing in content lately…. yet those were unthinkable not long ago. People continue to pay for that rubbish.

MS also already has that req on GFWL (if you intend to use your saved games and have a working profile for achievements/DLC anyways) So it wouldn't surprise me if they actually tried this.

MechaCrash says:

The use of Blu-Ray sounds pretty obvious. They either stick with DVDs and deal with the fact that they aren't going to be big enough, or they move to Blu-Ray. Or they come up with their own propietary format, but that seems prohibitively expensive.

Improved Kinect also seems likely, because they sure wouldn't want to release one just like it again and risk another fiasco like the non-functional Steel Battalion game. But always online? That's suicide, and they won't do that.

DorkmasterFlek says:

And that's exactly why I don't see how this can work with physical copies.  With digital copies, it may be shady, but I can see how they can rangle a license vs. sale argument.  Frankly, I don't really care if the games are so damn cheap on Steam anyway.  But for a physical product, I don't see how this license thing applies.

Sam-LibrarIan Witt says:

And here lies the problem of it being legal to say, "I'm not selling you a game/piece of software – I'm selling you license to use it!" In that case, since you are not transferring ownership, they don't have to abide by the First-Sale Doctrine.

Cecil475 says:

Always connected? Not going for it. I barely take my 360 online nowadays. Besides I never have enough money for a NEW game system. I usually wait several years beforehand anyway. I usually play USED games on y USED system, and usually in time for the next GTA.

I have older systems that I enjoy playing. It won't kill me not to have the newest system.

– W

hellfire7885 says:

Well, if they do this I'll be skipping it then, as I don't want to be kicked out of a game because of a connection hiccup.

It happens with WoW, happened with Diablo 3, which lead to me uninstalling it, and it would happen with this.

PHX Corp says:

I'm still trying to Replace some of my physical games with Digital copies on the Playstation 3 as a Trial run through the Playstation Store/Sony Entertainment Network Store so I can have all of my games on the console as a backup plan in case the disc drive malfunctions

DorkmasterFlek says:

I don't understand how it would combat used game sales.  What does being online have to do with buying a used game?  The only possibility I can think of is registering a unique physical copy to the console or account.  But they won't do that, because it's illegal.  Little thing called the first-sale doctrine.

The only way to kill used games is to replace physical games entirely with digital ones, which I would actually love personally.  However, I doubt this is going to happen that quickly since it would screw up the relationship with the retailers who sell their hardware.

Of course, you can just sell points cards and download codes for digital games in physical stores, but that would be progress.  We can't have no dirty progress in the console world!  That's a whole 'nother debate.

Sam-LibrarIan Witt says:

The BD usage and upgraded Kinect are a win for the system. However, I am very disappointed, but not surprised, to hear about their possible always-connected plans. If this does end up being the case I simply will not purchase the console. It's that simple. I'll stick to my older consoles instead.