The NPD Group released retail video game sales figures in the United States for January 2013, revealing that Activison's Call of Duty: Black Ops II remained the best-selling title in the region. The top five best selling games for January 2013 were Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Far Cry 3, Just Dance 4, NBA 2K13, and Madden NFL 13. Sales were inflated slightly because NPD Group counted five weeks instead of four to comply with the National Retail Federation calendar.
NPD Group reported that total sales for January climbed an estimated 9 percent on a five-week basis to $834.7 million. Stripping away that extra week reveals that sales actually dropped 13 percent to $667.6 million.
"These sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50 percent of the total consumer spend on games," said NPD analyst Liam Callahan. "When you consider our preliminary estimate for other physical format sales in January such as used and rentals at $141 million, and our estimate for digital format sales including full game and add-on content downloads including microtransactions, subscriptions, mobile apps, and the consumer spend on social network games at $382 million, we would estimate the total consumer spend in January to be over $1.3 billion."
Hardware sales fell 17 percent to $164 million during the period – led by Microsoft's Xbox 360, which sold 281,000 units and drove $338 million in sales during the month. Sony and Nintendo did not reveal hardware sales for the month. Software sales were up 19 percent on an adjusted basis for January, while accessories sales rose 4 percent to $205 million and saw an increase in subscription card revenue.
"January 2013 marked the best January for Point and Subscription Cards on record, another indication of the health of spending on digital content and services and how retailers can participate," Callahan said.
TOP 10 GAMES FOR JANUARY 2013
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360, PS3, Wii U, PC) – Activision Blizzard
2. Far Cry 3 (X360, PS3, PC) – Ubisoft
3. Just Dance 4 (X360, Wii, Wii U, PS3) – Ubisoft
4. NBA 2K13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC) – Take-Two Interactive
5. Madden NFL 13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, Wii U) – Electronic Arts
6. DmC: Devil May Cry (X360, PS3) – Capcom
7. Halo 4 (X360) – Microsoft
8. Assassin's Creed III (X360, PS3, PC, Wii U) – Ubisoft
9. Skylanders Giants (X360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, 3DS) – Activision Blizzard
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PSP) – Electronic Arts