Ian Livingstone: Xbox 720 ‘Might’ Block Used Games

Speaking to MCV India, Eidos life president Ian Livingstone threw some gasoline on an old rumor: that the Xbox 720 might block used games. Livingstone also said the next-gen consoles weren't prepared to go fully digital quite yet as its only method for selling and delivering content.

"The next iteration of consoles–the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them," said Livingstone. "Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only."

"With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an Internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another," noted Livingstone.

Livingstone added that the "generation after" the PlayStation 4 and new Xbox will be digital-only.

Microsoft is not publicly commenting on this story.

Last week Sony confirmed that it had no plans to block the use of used games on the PS4 and that the console did not "require" users to maintain a constant connection in order to use it.

Source: GameSpot

kurifu says:

Replace the words "block used games" with "create real man eating dragons" or "cure cancer" and you'll still have statements as equally as informed as "might block used games".

Cecil475 says:

Ian Livingstone: "Xbox 720 'Might' Block Used Games"
    Me: "Then I 'Might' not buy one. The PS4 don't look that hot either, and it doesn't require all that crap. Or, so they say.

– W

Samster says:

Never mind blocking used games – ensuring that a game is locked to the first console you use it on means no Xbox 720 for me.

I have access to multiple consoles right now, both PS3 and Xbox360, and which I play depends largely on who I'm playing with. If I can no longer take MY game that I purchased to my friend's house so we can play, or I can't pass the game to my Dad so he can play it on his console/we can play it together (because it is such a pain in the ass to have multiple users of one console these days anyway), then screw Microsoft. This has sweet FA to do with used games at this point. I cannot stand being told how and when and under what circumstances I'm allowed to use something I've purchased. I pretty much always buy new, which adds salt to the wound since I'm not even the type of gamer they're trying to punish here.

Greedy, greedy games industry. A console with these restrictions is going to backfire like woah. If this becomes reality, I really hope affronted gamers will stick to their guns and not support this anti-consumer crap.

Adrian Lopez says:

That might have been the case when Bill Gates was CEO, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ballmer believed it to be a good move. He seems intent on driving Microsoft into the ground.

Imautobot says:

I don't know man, they removed the most iconic and easy to use button from their Windows OS; basically giving to finger to hundreds of millions of customers.  I don't put anything past them anymore.

Andrew Eisen says:

I'll say it again: There is no way in hell Microsoft is suicidal enough to block used games or require their console to be connected to the internet.

Andrew Eisen