Leaked Internal Memo Reveals Organizational Structure Changes at EA

Yesterday TechCrunch obtained a leaked memo attributed to EA executive chairman Larry Probst, which details EA's reorganization plans.

The memo notes that core marketing functions will be consolidated into a group called the Global Acquisition Marketing and Marketing Analytics to be overseen by COO Peter Moore and led by Todd Sitrin.

EA's Origin digital distribution platform will now be under the watchful eye of Frank Gibeau's Labels organization, while Andrew Wilson will take on its leadership.

Probst does not divulge any details on the layoffs within the company global workforce, only noting in the memo that "the workforce reductions which we communicated in the last two weeks represent the majority of our planned personnel actions," and that the process of creating a more efficient organizational structure "has led to some difficult decisions about the number of people and locations needed to achieve our goals." You can read the entire memo below:

As we begin the new fiscal year, I want to provide you with a brief update on some important changes to our organization. As Executive Chairman, my focus is to ensure EA is delivering high quality games and services to our consumers, while helping the executive team develop a FY14 operating plan that drives growth, rationalizes headcount and controls costs.

In recent weeks, the executive team has been tasked with evaluating every area of our business to establish a clear set of priorities, and a more efficient organizational structure. This process has led to some difficult decisions about the number of people and locations needed to achieve our goals.

The workforce reductions which we communicated in the last two weeks represent the majority of our planned personnel actions. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of these individuals – they will be missed by their colleagues and friends at EA.

We are also taking action to streamline our organization, including changes in two key areas:
•Core marketing functions have been consolidated under our COO, Peter Moore. The combined group will bring together our Label marketing teams, Global Acquisition Marketing and Marketing Analytics into one multi-talented team under Todd Sitrin's leadership. The development and marketing teams will continue to work as cohesive units, driving clear and consistent messaging and consumer engagement for each of our franchises.

•Origin will move into Frank Gibeau's Labels organization. Andrew Wilson will take on the leadership of Origin, working with CJ Prober and the team to create more value and an enhanced entertainment experience for our consumers.

Change is sometimes difficult, but essential. The adjustments we are making will put us in the best position to build great games and services, deliver them more efficiently to consumers, and demonstrate to players around the world why they should spend their time with us.

EA is a great company, with talented and hard-working teams, a strong portfolio of products and an extremely bright future.

Thank you all for your dedication and commitment to our long term success!

Source: TechCrunch

Neo_DrKefka says:

I’m sorry I have no Internet access and I am using an iPhone the exclamation point was added in error. I just wanted to respond since I just noticed it in my previous post.

hellfire7885 says:

Pretty much this. They kept bugging me to use it but I flat out refused. There are lots of cases where we just don't want our real names known.

Andrew Eisen says:

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant.  Let's go over this again…

We have reported on a few episodes of his show, as they often cover subjects and themes relevant to our readership (SOPA, used games, etc), but as I've told you before, Jim Sterling is not nor has he ever been a writer for GamePolitics, guest or otherwise.

"…your former guest writer from Destructoid Jim Sterling…" -You, in reply to MaskedPixelante

MaskedPixelante is not a writer for GamePolitics either.

Andrew Eisen

Neo_DrKefka says:

I will quit YouTube the day it forces me to use my real name. I know Google is guilt tripping people to use the Real ID on YouTube.

Depending on what service you use for Google+ using your real name is mandatory.

Andrew Eisen says:

"…your former guest writer from Destructoid Jim Sterling…"

Jim Sterling was a former guest writer of MaskedPixelante's?  I didn't know MaskedPixelante had a web site on which Jim Sterling could guest.

Andrew Eisen

Neo_DrKefka says:

Google Plus forced me to retreat from my reviews due to the real name policy. Fact is when you have a crazy person who might not like you downing a buisness or area he could stalk you and out all your personal info. When you think about it your former guest writer from Destructoid Jim Sterling did the same thing to a twitter user who used his real name. During the Jennifer Hepler incident/drama Bioware’s Aaryn flynn picked out one twitter user and told him to “Fuck you” this led Jim Sterling to write an inflammatory article on Destructoid and blamed the whole incident on this one person and outed his name and such. This led to gay men upset at people who would question what Bioware was now doing and a gay man actually dug up photos of this guys kids and threatened to rape this guys kids for everyone to see on twitter.

Any organization that wishes to force you to give up your personal info for anyone to see or abuses their customers is not for me.

MaskedPixelante says:

The whole social media analogy works a lot better if you think of Origin as Google Plus. It's a pale imitation of a good service created by a mega corporation who wanted a piece of the pie. The very few good things it does aren't huge plusses in its favor, and the only reason you have an account there is because they smooshed down all of your associated profiles into one universal account.

MaskedPixelante says:

I dunno, something about competition breeding innovation, and how Origin is the Facebook to Steam's MySpace, and a lot of other stupid statements by EA executives which mean nothing because they've gone on record several times stating that Origin is NOT competing with Steam.