While some may believe that Sony somehow decided at the eleventh hour on its pricing and policy on used games and connectivity, Sony VP of Worldwide Studios Scott Rohde told Polygon in an interview earlier Monday night that the company hadn't changed any opinions or strategies in response to Microsoft's Xbox One plans. In fact, the company simply decided to wait for the right moment to break its silence and E3 was probably the best place to get the most bang for their buck.
"I literally have goosebumps right now, because that was always our plan," Rohde said. "It's something that we believe in. We know gamers come first; we know what they want. I was personally overwhelmed with the massive explosion on Twitter, with everyone essentially begging, 'Please don't do this Sony, please don't do this PlayStation!' It was so hard not to say, right away, 'Well, we never were going to do that, but now let's have a little fun and announce it in a fun way at the PlayStation press conference."
Rohde also said that he was happy about the applause from the audience on hand at the E3 press event when Sony revealed it policy on used games.
He also noted that the price point for the console had been decided a long time ago, though finding out Microsoft's price point for the Xbox One did make them grin going into the E3 press event because they knew they were in a better position. "I mean, that was such an amazing message," Rohde said. "We kind of had a feeling; we kind of knew we were gonna land a little bit cheaper than those green guys. When it was verified this morning, we've just been walking around with smiles all day."