Microsoft Dumps (Most) Bad Xbox One Policies

Realizing that it has lost the war on Xbox One's online requirements and its used games policies, Microsoft announced today that it is abandoning them altogether. Microsoft has changed its stance on always online and used game policies to be more like they were on Xbox 360. In a blog post explaining the changes President of Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, Don Mattrick, laid out the changes.

"We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity," Mattrick said. "While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

"To that end, Microsoft is dropping the requirement that Xbox One systems check-in with Microsoft servers every 24 hours or be unable to play games. The system will still need to connect online for an initial setup, but after that, it can be used entirely offline. "

"Additionally, rights to games will work the same as they do on the Xbox 360 today. Players will be able to lend games to friends, sell them, buy them used, or rent them without restrictions. "It will work just as it does today on Xbox 360," Mattrick said.

Finally, Microsoft said that the Xbox One will not be region locked allowing players from any country to play software on any hardware regardless of where it was purchased and activated.

Microsoft also said that it was eliminating some of the functionality it previously said would be included with Xbox One like the ability to share downloaded titles with other players, and disc-based games will require the disc to be in the system's tray in order to run.

Not addressed was the requirement for the Kinnect to be always-on, watching and listening 24/7.

Source: GII

Sajomir says:

I will acknowledge this is better than Microsoft continuing with its original plans.

I do not think those who jumped ship will cancel their PS4 pre-orders to go back to Xbox.

Imautobot says:

They have shown their willingness to give the finger to their existing customers on a whim.  I can't believe they think that this Mea Culpa crap is going to make it all better.

I'm not reversing course, since they'll probably backslide on these policies once they've lulled everyone into a false sense of security.  That, and the Kinect requirement is still F'd up IMO.

MechaCrash says:

Too little, too late. The fact that it got to the point where it took a massive outcry to get them to back off from this shows just how much contempt they have for the end user.

I put in a preorder for a PS4 today. I will never buy this console, and I hope that it implodes on the launchpad so its flaming wreckage can serve as a warning.

Kincyr says:

um, it was already stated that the Kinect can be completely turned off. in other words, the requirement was never there. I mentioned this before

"You definitely will have the software capability to turn off all the capabilities of Kinect."

Bennett Beeny says:

For me it's too late. I was a happy XBox owner, but I'm now committed to switching to PS4. If MS was seriously making the move towards 'always on' DRM, I don't believe they would just dump the idea – they will bring it back when they feel the time is right. Why should I risk committing to a company that is even considering pursuing such a mode of operation?

If the Xbox is the only region free console, I might be convinced, but if PS4 is also region-free, then I'm sticking with that.

lomdr says:

Word was that back when the Xbone still had the DRM, EA was still not going to use Online passes for their PS4 games.  Guess it's a wait and see now if they add in Xbone into the fold or go back on their word on the PS4

lomdr says:

Same here, only replace 360 with buying MS published games on the PC (granted, aside from Pinball FX2, it's mostly old games).  I have to wonder why they're putting Zoo Tycoon on a platform that doesn't give a shit about that game series.  IIRC, not a single Blue Fang Games game made it onto any of the Xbox console, the ZT series being a PC exclusive before the shitty DS Ports and World of Zoo being a Wii/DS/PC game

quiknkold says:

It did make me change my mind about selling my 360. I was thinking of getting rid of it because I was so disgusted at Microsofts actions lately, what with the XBone and the NSA and such, that I was going to sell it. But I changed my mind. keeping it(After I sold all my games and bought them all back on PS3. lol. all well).

I am still getting a PS4, as Sony has been very good to me since the beginning of the Playstation brand. a PS4, my Computer, and my Nintendo WiiU, plus some of my old school consoles…I think I'm good.

It'll take a LOT for me to think about buying a XBone. Killer Instinct is a start, but this is a series long dead for over a decade being handled by a studio that has a really bad track record. its a wait and see, but I dont see one in my home untill atleast 2015.

jedidethfreak says:

And you're nothing more than a moron who thinks that people don't deserve to be paid for making something you don't have the talent to make yourself.

jedidethfreak says:

I'm not so sure about this – this is the same guy who recently stated that military servicepeople should just get a 360 not even a week ago.

As such, I fully expect either a retraction, a clarification, or something else bad to replace it to be announced within a week or two.

Also, in a somewhat related note, I also expect EA to bring back Online Passes as a result of this particular announcement, perhaps with a rebranding.

GrimCW says:

Funny thing is reading the comments over at kotaku people are actually upset over the removal! :p

TBH i don't think much of anything they removed, thats not DRM, is really going to affect people as much.
    And still think they should make the rest OPTIONAL for users, this way they can have their control, and people can have their offline consoles at a cost.

that way both parties can be happy.

Longjocks says:

The cynical side of me is thinking EA now regrets dumping online passes. It's all my imagination, but it's sad that they create an environment for these thoughts to be plausible.

sqlrob says:

I'm really surprised that they did this. I didn't think it would happen, especially since they seemed to be doubling down on the stupid after E3.

I don't like even the single connection, that does limit the potential for retro some. The Kinect requirement still sucks.