Maxis Considering Offline Mode For SimCity

In an update to the State of SimCity Blog, Maxis Emeryville studio General Manager Patrick Buechner said that the company is considering an offline mode for the game that launched as an online-only, always-connected game earlier this year. I'm sure you remember how that turned out…

"Right now we have a team specifically focused on exploring the possibility of an offline mode," Maxis Emeryville General Manager Patrick Buechner wrote. "I can't make any promises on when we will have more information, but we know this is something that many of our players have been asking for. While the server connectivity issues are behind us, we would like to give our players the ability to play even if they choose not to connect."

Buechner added an acknowledgement that having an offline mode for SimCity has a lot of advantages, like providing breathing room for the modding community to experiment without interfering with online gameplay. We would add that being offline in single-player is the biggest advantage to having an offline mode because it's simply less of a hassle – especially if you have a spotty connection.

Source: The Escapist

Sleaker says:

Kind of. They still need to add in persisting of the city onto your HD, which doesn't currently exist.  You can show that offline mode kind of works by unplugging your internet while in the middle of the game.  The game will continue to run just fine, so obv it doesn't need to continue online once loaded in.  It just establishes checks back to the main server to save everything and make sure everything is in-sync.

GrimCW says:

Yes, but it was only needed for online modes, there was no need to make the WHOLE game online when only the ONE real un-needed feature had requirement for it, and not even in an always on…

Cashing in only meant they needed the feature, not that its requirement would thrash the game and its publicity.

GrimCW says:

And the auction house was needed for?

Oh right.. selling items between players, something many wouldn't even need or want anyways.. Soooo why was it needed again?

The auction house was an addition, it wasn't part of the core gameplay in any way, therefor unnecessary, as is/was the always online drm. The only time it should've been even accessible was when the game was online. But there was no reason to have it FORCED always online over that simple little, very negligible, detail.

Overcast says:

Haven't bought it yet – I will as soon as there is an offline mode. I'm not pressed – lot of games out there. I rarely loose internet – but since I'm mostly playing online games – SIM City would only be if I don't want – or can't be online for a bit.

So, if it's locked to online – it's worthless to me – potentially.

Of course, it's already out of sight/mind for me – it's unlikely I'll think about it again anyway, lol.

I've been a gamer for a long time – and of the things I've learned — #1 is – be patient. Let them bug fix it, add content, smooth out BS like this, then the price drops – and well… it's still a new game to me, and that's all that matters :)

SeanB says:

Wait, how the hell can they make an offline mode? I thought the game calculations were SO POWERFUL that a single PC couldn't run the game without "offloading" some of the calculations to the main servers.

Didn't i read that somewhere?

Oh right, it was Dec 24th, 2012, on the EA Blog, from the Senior Vice President

GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game – the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.

—Lucy Bradshaw, SVP Maxis,

I know I regret buying it, especially at full price which I only really did because Amazon was offering a $20 promotional credit. Hell, I regret buying it period and haven't touched it in months.

ZippyDSMlee says:

They needed online only for the auction house. But even now they will not go back even without it. An offline mode did not hurt SC2 any I do not see why they won't do it for D3.

GrimCW says:

Do it and I'll buy it.

But this and Diablo 3 have not even come close to the checkout due to the always on requirement and no real need for it in either instance that can be found.

Wymorence says:

"Exploring the Possibility of" an offline mode? Are they just forgetting the information gleaned by people finding out that the game functions just freaking fine offline when they tweaked some of the settings or whatever right after launch? I distinctly remember these idiots saying it wasn't possible without like rereleasing the game, something players found out to be a load quickly.

Stop the BSing and just do it, and maybe, just maybe I/we'll buy it.

Craig R. says:

Can I be on this team? Because it means I would get paid to sit around and do nothing for awhile, knowing full well that it doesn't take much to make offline mode happen.