Illinois State’s Attorney Pushes for ‘Economic Boycott’ of GTA V

Will County, Illinois State’s Attorney Jim Glasgow is urging parents not to buy Grand Theft Auto V as he continues to push a boycott of Rockstar's latest action game. Recently Glasgow met with around 50 Mokena Junior High School parents and showed them a six-minute clip from the game to make his point.

According to the Southtown Star, many of the parents in attendance covered their eyes or looked away as the clip played. The report claims the clip showed various gruesome scenes from the game including an innocent woman's head being blown off, as well as several police officers and a dog being killed. Other scenes showed players running down NPCs with a car.

"Violence is the No. 1-selling entertainment that we have,” Glasgow said at the event. "Our culture embraces violence. We have to say, ‘We don’t want it anymore.'"

While Glasgow is strongly against the game made by Rockstar, he does not plan on engaging in any kind of legal action or government regulation. Instead he has vowed to push for an economic boycott.

You can see Glasgow in action in the news below, but it should be noted the game is not intended for children – it's rated "Mature" by the ESRB.

Source: Southtown Star

SpectralThundr says:

Oh good another democrat trying to tell people what and what not to buy. Not only that but the man obviously hasn't even seen the game because he's talking about things that don't even happen in the game at all. I'd love to know how these idiots keep getting elected to positions, guess that liberal media is continuing to do a wonderful job of straight out lying to people.

I'm sure Cronkite is rolling in his grave at this point.

Bigman-K says:

The only reason this guy is doing this instead of trying to pass another nanny-state video game regulation law is due to ESA vs. Brown. He knows if he tried to do that, which I'm sure he really really wishes he could, that it would be struck down as unconstitutional in a minute and cost taxpayers loads of money that could be better spent.

Also, while i don't think most pre-teens should be playing a game like GTA 5, I think there are much more important things to worry about when it comes to children, like i don't know, maybe kids not getting enough to eat at home, or extreme bullying at school, rather then spending time on trying to boycott a damn fictional video game.

Neeneko says:

One can support a public figure's goal while still being displeased when they demonstrate near complete lack of domain knowledge and then portray their ignorance as fact to parents.

connordavisj says:

"…woman's head being blown off…"

As someone who has beaten the game, when exactly did that happen?  I've yet to see GTAV get even remotely gory.  It's all blood.  Is he actually showing them the game?

quiknkold says:

my favorite is the parents covering their eyes in shock bit. Youd think they would have seen 1 R Rated movie from the 80s. Robocop, Terminator, Diehard, Lethal Weapon, all as gory as GTAV. And the shows on TV Right now? CSI? NCIS? Walking Dead? Breaking Bad? Any News Program?

It's like he picked people who have literally been living under Rocks.

Fyi, I have played more gory games than I've watched gory film and I'll tell you I still winse more at films more than Games.

Sora-Chan says:

Too late~

Try again next time.

╔╦═╣Signature Statement╠═╦╗

If you don't like something I said in a post, don't just hit the dislike, let me know your thoughts! I'm interested in knowing everyone's opinions, even when they don't mesh with my own.

Night Theme for GP:

Andrew Eisen says:

I haven't watched the video but I don't think hurting Rockstar is Glasgow's intention.

EDIT: Okay, I just watched it.  I get the sense that Glasgow has never played the game (or any other), has no idea what he's talking about and is making stuff up as he goes along.  Shameful, if true.

Andrew Eisen

hellfire7885 says:

As much as I support the idea of parents having the final say whether or not a piece of media enters their home, any kind of boycott won't hurt Rockstar at this point. Hell, they won't even feel it.

Plus, even the voice actors have been saying what this politician is saying.

Jordan C.D says:

I thought i'd come in here and dismiss whatever he said as being a public figure that hates videos games, but i got to say; i support what he's trying to do. I'm perfectly happy with parents not buying the game for their kids and i'm over joyed he isn't going to an extreme and taking legal action.

RedMage says:

Good job, Mr. Glasgow. Tell parents what the publisher, ESRB, and voice actors for all three principal protagonists have already said several times. Parents are lucky they have such a shining white knight to stand against the evil game industry.

prh99 says:

That's fine if it means parents actually do what they are suppose to and decide this game may not be right for their children. I'd much rather these anti-game violence people appeal to parents than try to completely shift the burden on to retailers or publishers.

Thomas Riordan says:

Wow, people are covering their eyes at tame shit like that. Pathetic. The only thing that even slightly bothered me is the torture part and not because of the torture but the sheer lack of logic in the ending of that mission. You honestly expect that they're going to let a half naked Arab man with a bloody crotch get on a plane in this country? Yeah, not happening.