IGDA: Over Half of Developers Surveyed Think Unions are a Good Idea

June 24, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

A recent survey of its members by the International Game Developers Association finds that 56 percent of its members are in favor of unions for game developers. The association that represents game developers today announced the result of its Developers Satisfaction Survey from earlier this year, which found that more than half of respondents were in favor of unionization.

Of the more than 2,200 developers surveyed, 56 percent said yes when asked if they would vote to form a national union of game developers in their own countries. That figure is up from the group's 2009 Quality of Life Survey, where just 35 percent of more than 3,300 developers said they would vote in favor of unionizing at that time.

As for whether the IGDA was considering a move in that direction, the group's executive director Kate Edwards dismissed the notion.

"For the IGDA, we will always be a professional association," Edwards told GamesIndustry International. "That's what we exist for, and what we'll always be. But if we are seeing that developers feel unionization is what they perceive to be a solution, then that's something we're going to pay attention to and see where it goes for them."

"When we asked people how many jobs they'd had in the last five years and the average number was four, that was pretty eye-opening for us."

The survey also offered new data on gender diversity. While men still "dominate" the industry, it isn't to the same degree as before; 22 percent of respondents identified as female, up from 11.5 percent in 2009. Additionally, the 2009 survey only included "male" and "female" designations; this year's poll found 2 percent of respondents identifying as male-to-female transgender, male-to female transgender or "other."

The Developers Satisfaction Survey also polled members on their salary, and found that nearly half of developers earn less than $50,000 annually.

Around 61 percent of respondents said they planned to work in games indefinitely. Of those who saw themselves leaving at some point. Around 39 percent said they planned on leaving the industry to have a better "quality of life."

Source: GII


 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician